Continental extreme contact DWS??

BackInBlack

5 Year Member
Oct 9, 2011
Southern California
Any idea on what are great all season tires. daily driver and road trips. but still has great traction at an affordable price.

I really enjoyed the Eagle GTs from good year on my last mustang. But I talked with the guy at Americas Tire along with my buddy who works there. He said the continental DWS are actually really great. one of his friends has a 68 Bullit and enjoys driving through brea canyon (Chino Hills California) because they are pretty sticky. and theyre affordable.
Made in either France or Mexico depending.
P.S. I snowboard and go up to the mtns with my stang. the continentals are higher rated in snow.

Any Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

That would be a hard choice if you looking to use them in the snow, only since you already know a brand that works good, and we both know tires are not always as good as their rated. :shrug:
I dont really like my G-force that much. Maybe cus I bought my GT used. they still had half of their life when I bought them. theyre fine...but I want something more. and Teh extreme contacts DWS are being compared to the michellin Pilot sports...so they DWS are aFORDable! Ill give a review on here whenever I get them. I havent seen a really bad review...majority were great.

GL, with them I assumed the ones you listed was a tire you swore by like alot of individuals when they find a tire they like and stick with, but heck if you found a tire that rates high and your not stuck on a certain brand I would try it. Only tire I would never use again is a yokahoma or something like that spent a chit load of $$ on them got a defective set and big ten basically said Sorry bout ur luck.....Even though others have nothing but good to say about them, I have nothing but bad because of one issue.

GL, with them I assumed the ones you listed was a tire you swore by like alot of individuals when they find a tire they like and stick with, but heck if you found a tire that rates high and your not stuck on a certain brand I would try it. Only tire I would never use again is a yokahoma or something like that spent a chit load of $$ on them got a defective set and big ten basically said Sorry bout ur luck.....Even though others have nothing but good to say about them, I have nothing but bad because of one issue.

Good thing Im still young...but I still need to experiance some things...

I had a set of DWS on my 2008 EvoX, and they were amazing both in winter and summer. They also had a high treadwear rating of about 540 or so, so they lasted like crazy, even with the aggressive suspension setup of the Evo. My Mom also had a set of DWS on her 2007 rwd CTS sport, and she could get around ok in winter, but it still wasn't ideal. She ended up getting a different set of 17" painted alloys and Blizzaks from tirerack. My dad also has a set of blizzaks on his 2009 G8 GXP, and he never had a problem getting around in our Chicago winters. I just had an inch of snow fall last night, and the stock pirelli's on my '12 GT Premium were a little too slippery for comfort. I'll see how long I can last, but I may have to pull the trigger on a set of snows for the rest of this winter. Figures...i just picked my mustang up yesterday....oh well.

It really just depends where you live. If you deal with snow ocassionally and it's not a huge deal, DWS should be fine. If you live in an area where it's not a huge surprise to wake up in the morning and see 6" plus of snow on the ground, then I would probably shoot for a dedicated snow set of rims and tires. the DWS are a great tire, but they aren't snow tires...and yes, it makes that big of a difference depending on the weather in your area.

I just recently put a set of Hankook IceBear 245/45/18 snow/ice tires on my stock 18's for my winter setup. I also live about 35 miles north of chicago and these will come in handy. If that's all you are looking for is an all season, the DWS is arguably the best, longest lasting all season with the best traction you can possibly buy for the money. I prefer having a strictly summer and strictly winter set of tires on a rwd car. But on my EvoX, and my Si, the DWS's performed perfectly.

I've got about 10,000 miles on a set of the Conti DWS tires on my '04 GT. They have very good dry traction - good grip for when you're pushing the car around a twisty highway ramp, for example. Where they really shine is in the rain. On wet roads (so long as the water isn't standing in ruts) I've never had to question whether the Mustang could stick - on the Continentals, it will. I got caught with my car out when it snowed one night at work, and there was ice underneath the slowly accumulating snow, and they weren't so good on that. But, I didn't expect a winter tire, truthfully. So... I'd say, go for them. The wear looks good, the grip is good, and the price is (or at least was, when I bought them) great.

I've got about 10,000 miles on a set of the Conti DWS tires on my '04 GT. They have very good dry traction - good grip for when you're pushing the car around a twisty highway ramp, for example. Where they really shine is in the rain. On wet roads (so long as the water isn't standing in ruts) I've never had to question whether the Mustang could stick - on the Continentals, it will. I got caught with my car out when it snowed one night at work, and there was ice underneath the slowly accumulating snow, and they weren't so good on that. But, I didn't expect a winter tire, truthfully. So... I'd say, go for them. The wear looks good, the grip is good, and the price is (or at least was, when I bought them) great.

how much did you buy them for? Americas tire had them at 7 or 800 I believe. without the warranty.

First post on these forums,

I had the continental DWS, good tires overall, last about half as long as they say (I think they say 50k miles, mine lasted 30k). Good straight forward traction, good grip on turns, they stick really nice. What I didn't like, they have very soft sidewalls, when you turn, you can feel the vehicle roll a little more than other tires. I switched away from these tires because its easy to find a tire with good grip, but I could not deal with the soft sidewalls.

First post on these forums,

I had the continental DWS, good tires overall, last about half as long as they say (I think they say 50k miles, mine lasted 30k). Good straight forward traction, good grip on turns, they stick really nice. What I didn't like, they have very soft sidewalls, when you turn, you can feel the vehicle roll a little more than other tires. I switched away from these tires because its easy to find a tire with good grip, but I could not deal with the soft sidewalls.
what tires do you have now?

what tires do you have now?

I currently have BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?KEYWORD=tires.jsp_BFGoodrich_g-Force_Super_Sport_A/S_Tire&CAWELAID=712091697&tireMake=BFGoodrich&GCID=C13674x012-tire&partnum=445WR8GFAS&tireModel=g-Force Super Sport A/S&code=yes&

These have just as much grip as the continentals, harder sidewall, and so far at 20k miles on them, it seems like they are gonna last about 35k, which is ever so slightly better then the continentals. I'm sure there are even better tires than these out there.

I have heard good things about your goodyears too, never had them myself though.

I currently have BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?KEYWORD=tires.jsp_BFGoodrich_g-Force_Super_Sport_A/S_Tire&CAWELAID=712091697&tireMake=BFGoodrich&GCID=C13674x012-tire&partnum=445WR8GFAS&tireModel=g-Force Super Sport A/S&code=yes&

These have just as much grip as the continentals, harder sidewall, and so far at 20k miles on them, it seems like they are gonna last about 35k, which is ever so slightly better then the continentals. I'm sure there are even better tires than these out there.

I have heard good things about your goodyears too, never had them myself though.

I have those tires right now. And I really dont like them....the best tires Ive had were the goodyear eagle GTs

Maybe you should go with the eagles then. I don't think you will like the conti's. Plus US made tires on a US car is better then German Tires on a US car, not in performance, but in principal.

Well what you said doesnt make much sense to me. you didnt like the body roll of the continentals but yet they are made of soft rubber. And are meant to feel like that. Im young and willing and have heard some great things about these tires. someone with a 68 bullit has them and loves them. Eagle Gt's are great tires but what if theres something better. Im turning my car into a daily driver/track car. not rly a drag