Convertible engine mount or standard with longtubes?

5point0stang88

Sep 9, 2011
Hopefully soon I'll be wanting to put on my Mac longtubes and prochamber after I get the Spintech exhaust.

What had bugged me where the engine mounts. Will the lower height of the vert mounts prevent me from running the longtubes? Like come into contact with something? I've heard sagging mounts may lead to trouble trying to install them, so I think short mounts would equate to the same?
a3y6egy4.jpg

.:Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Note II:.

Attachments

• a3y6egy4.jpg
    a3y6egy4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Sponsors (?)

Damn that sucks cause I can't return it too, bought them new in May. =( I think I'll like my stock manifolds, and stock hollow cat h pipe. But how do I send this to you?

Wow! That was easy! ;)

Seriously though, I doubt you'll have an issue.
Even though they weren't MACs, we just installed long tubes on my son's Fox, and his engine was a custom swap where we ended up with the engine sitting lower than stock, and further back in the bay than stock. One of his tubes rubs the joint in the steering shaft, but that was due to the engine sitting back further, not sitting lower.

All you can do is try, and when it comes to headers, where there is a will, there is a way!
Good luck!

Edit:
If it makes you feel better, we replaced a set of MAC equal shorties on that car, and those fit great. The steering shaft (straight part) rubbed those slightly too, but it wasn't noticeable, and again, it wouldn't have if the engine wasn't so low. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I figure being a MAC part, it gives some insight into how they perceive the clearances on a Fox, and look at it as a good sign for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I just realized that if this were a problem, no one with a convertible would have MACs on their car, MAC might even note their 'catalog' as these headers "not for convertibles", and there would be a handful of convertible owners over the last 20 years up in arms because they paid all that money for headers that didn't fit their cars.

Just a thought.

I am trying to encourage you here! Go with it. :cheers:

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome then, I'll try with the convertible mounts. Did anyone have to loosen the mounts and jack up the engine? I plan to do the mounts at the same time of not before. Thanks for the input guys!

Do the mounts and headers at the same time.

My experience with installing headers is that the more room you have, the better.
Even if it can be done with the car not jacked up very high, or the engine mounts in place, or with the starter in place, you will cus less and bruise your knuckles less if you give yourself every advantage that is reasonable. So give yourself a reason to jack up the engine during header install by doing an engine mount upgrade at the same time. Jack the car up plenty high. Take a moment to pull the starter.

All these things will make it much less stressful, even if the job can be done without as much prep.

Well, I guess qa has improved at Mac in recent years... I had some a while back and had to bend the sh1t out of the rear primaries to fit them. That's what pushed me to bbk's single flange design. Well that and the "around the steering column" thing

I think the Mac, the steering column goes in between the tubes
I have seen enough of them to know for sure the steering shaft doesn't go between the tubes.
I have also seen enough pics of the later design and believe it doesn't "circle" the tube, like the Flowtechs.
And... I haven't seen any pics of the first generation MACs, but have been told that they did circle the shaft like the current Flowtechs.
(When I say "circle", I mean the shaft doesn't go between the tubes, but one of the pipes makes a pronounced sharp bend that starts above the shaft, and curves all the way around the steering shaft before it goes straight again. Which is totally unnecessary, so I can't imagine why they do it.)

Ok well that's better I've been reading since I had them off people having to remove the shaft to install it and in some cases order a flaming river one. I may have read it wrong or they mistyped

After 8 months I'm still waiting them on already