Convertible Leaks when Washing..... Any Help Appreciated

LLeEeJJgG

Jan 6, 2004
Homer, IL
I have an '04 Gt Convertible. Whenever I get too lazy to wash it I take it to a drive through car wash. When the water sprays over the car to rinse the soap off i get squirts of water through my roof where it bends. Talked to the dealership and they cant fix it. Any Ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

It's a fact of life with the Mustangs. I took the Stang to a car wash a couple times after I bought the car (brushless car wash) and the water would find its way inside exactly where you mention (where the little triangle window meets the door window near the top). It happens when the spray is intense and coming horizontally from the sides. Fortunately it doesn't leak when it's merely raining.

I don't go to car washes anymore since I do a better job myself. :)

Its bound to happen on almost any convertible that you try to take through the car wash. Just gotta wash it by hand unless you want to get the interior wet. I never take mine through the automatic wash.

I took mine to a touchless -high pressure car wash. Water came in badly. I did find a drive-thru car wash with the chamois & soft brushes. Works fine. The owners manual will suggest not using a high pressure system car wash. When you meet local people(with converts) at car shows ,gas stations, parking lots, etc. ask them who they are using. I was talking to another conv. Stang owner and asked him where he got his washed(and if any problems) and have been using them as needed.
If you find a good car wash ask them to lift the blower as the car passes thru.A dollar tip here and there goes a long way

Avoid going to drive-thru car washes with a rag top! If you need the undercarriage washed, have them shut everything else off and just let them spray the under body. I only wash mine by hand and have had no problems with leaks.