Convertible Seat Belt & Clock Spring Questions

njoliver

Nov 25, 2009
Columbus OH
Hey Guys,

Been working all the bugs out of my car since I got it back on the road...

I got a 90 convertible. First off the clock spring has broke I cannot find a new replacement any where?
I searched a few forums and seems that this part is obsolete now? I did see one person say on another forum that the Dorman 525-201 clock spring worked? Anybody here verify that?

I also checked my seat belts and they do not lock up when pulled quickly? I tried it during braking as well and they did not lock up? I am thinking there is something wrong with them? Are they suppose to lock up like a modern car when pulled quickly? I just dont want to eat the steering wheel without an airbag...or working seat belts lol.

I been looking around for new seat belts and seems no one make new belts for convertibles? LMR/American muscle, etc... Only carry hatch/notch belts. Anyone have any recommendations for new belts? I do not have a cage and have stock seats....My car is built for autocrossing/street driving but I would like to have improved seat belt design without having to put a belt bar or aftermarket seats in, if possible.

Any recommendations for clock spring or seat belts would be appreciated...I just want the car as safe as possible.

• Sponsors (?)

The clock spring provides the rotating electrical connection for the air bag in the steering column. I have a '91 convertible that has had a bad clock spring for years causing the air bag light to flash. I've looked for a replacement and never found one. I've seen used ones for sale for $150+ but don't want to pay that kind of money only to have it go bad in a short time.

I've had no end of bad luck with vert seat belts. If you take them apart there is a tab on the inside that makes them catch. It gets stuck. You can attempt to repair it. Usually just a cleaning. They get gummed up.