Convertible Top Replacement - Do I Need A New Window Or Can I Reuse Mine?

apothicca

Dec 30, 2016
Basically I have a 1995 Mustang v6 Convertible. It's not in the best condition visually (the paint is faded in a lot of places, bumper peeled almost all the way, needs a paint job bad) but the top is tearing from the anchors and on the top where it folds.

For now I have duct tape on it. It's not moving so it doesn't matter for now. any ideas on patches for the short term? :)

long term solution is obviously to replace it, Question is, I've seen tops ranging from 200-250 and some lower in the 170 range. Some of these have the plastic window that's bigger, but I'm worried about visibility in the long run since it is plastic. Other thing is, my window is fine but I don't know if it can be re-used or not.

Any advice? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you have never done a convertible top.... it's a test in patience. Take you time rushing it will result in failure.

With tops you get what you pay for, cheap tops will last about 5 years tops.
I would replace it all if it were me.

If you have never done a convertible top.... it's a test in patience. Take you time rushing it will result in failure.

With tops you get what you pay for, cheap tops will last about 5 years tops.
I would replace it all if it were me.

What top would you recommend? i was looking at this website. But i obviously know nothing about these things.

I've read about installing these things and seen videos. Seems like I should be fine if I go slow

https://www.topsonline.com/model/Co...994_thru_2004_Ford_Mustang,_GT_And_Cobra.html

Last edited:
I've dealt with tops online before. The top fit pretty good. The window glass curtain should always be replaced with the top unless its only 1 or 2 years old and being replaced because of vandalism or damage. Both vinyl pieces need to stretch.

One piece tops like the one in the link you posted work well and I like the lifetime window bond warranty

If you're going to attempt this yourself I'd invest in an electric stapler and order stainless staples. Youd be amazed at hiw fast regular staples rust away and stain the top. The old staples can be pulled out the tack strips with cutting pliers and a flat screw driver. Staple removers have been a pain to use for me.

The staples are 1/4 inch, 5/16, and a few 3/8 inch long. A cheap heat gun ( harbor freight ) also helps a bit. Gorilla tape works great for laying over the padding staples on the rear hoop ends.

The hardest part is lining up the top on the rear frame pieces below the window in the boot area.

I've dealt with tops online before. The top fit pretty good. The window glass curtain should always be replaced with the top unless its only 1 or 2 years old and being replaced because of vandalism or damage. Both vinyl pieces need to stretch.

One piece tops like the one in the link you posted work well and I like the lifetime window bond warranty

If you're going to attempt this yourself I'd invest in an electric stapler and order stainless staples. Youd be amazed at hiw fast regular staples rust away and stain the top. The old staples can be pulled out the tack strips with cutting pliers and a flat screw driver. Staple removers have been a pain to use for me.

The staples are 1/4 inch, 5/16, and a few 3/8 inch long. A cheap heat gun ( harbor freight ) also helps a bit. Gorilla tape works great for laying over the padding staples on the rear hoop ends.

The hardest part is lining up the top on the rear frame pieces below the window in the boot area.

What brand did you get? They all look the same to me, the only difference i see is more dollars

I was planning on getting an electric staple since i saw it was a lot of staples you need to put down.

I like Haartz products...from EZ Tops usually the markings on them are pretty close ( chalk marks ). The difference is in the material. All vinyl isn't the same...the warranties aren't either.

I put on a cheap top for a guy and it barely lasted two years. It looked like a trash bag was on his roof. The vinyl was thinner and shined more. It also didn't have the factory texture. I have no idea where he got it from but I tell people not to buy cheap.

The top on my convertible lasted for 7 years...5 while I had it and almost 3 ( so far ) since I installed it on a customers car. I maintain them with Ambersol shaving cream ( cleans vinyl like no other ) and convertible top conditioner. ( Mothers )

Good ole cheap Ambersol cleans carpets, dashes and door panels, too. An old detailer showed it to me and I've been using it ever since.

Reactions: 1 user
I like Haartz products...from EZ Tops usually the markings on them are pretty close ( chalk marks ). The difference is in the material. All vinyl isn't the same...the warranties aren't either.

I put on a cheap top for a guy and it barely lasted two years. It looked like a trash bag was on his roof. The vinyl was thinner and shined more. It also didn't have the factory texture. I have no idea where he got it from but I tell people not to buy cheap.

The top on my convertible lasted for 7 years...5 while I had it and almost 3 ( so far ) since I installed it on a customers car. I maintain them with Ambersol shaving cream ( cleans vinyl like no other ) and convertible top conditioner. ( Mothers )

Good ole cheap Ambersol cleans carpets, dashes and door panels, too. An old detailer showed it to me and I've been using it ever since.

I was going to get the 259 one (xtreme brand) do you think springing for the Ez on one for the extra year of warranty is worth it? Not sure if 64 dollars is too much. Or is it thicker? Definitely would get it over the others if that's the case. Might have to ask the seller.

Didn't know about that Ambersol, ill need to get some since the inside looks a little dull

I was going to get the 259 one (xtreme brand) do you think springing for the Ez on one for the extra year of warranty is worth it? Not sure if 64 dollars is too much. Or is it thicker? Definitely would get it over the others if that's the case. Might have to ask the seller.

Didn't know about that Ambersol, ill need to get some since the inside looks a little dull

Spring for the extra warranty and better material