convertible top replacement. Should I do it myself?

• Sponsors (?)

It seems to be getting a lot more expensive to have a top put on. If you can find someone who has done 4-5 tops and is willing to help you, you could do that. Barring some experianced help, I would also not recommend doing this yourself. My coworker here has done a few, so we may attempt the top on a 71 vert here. Maybe not. It's still a pretty big job. But like all things, once you have done a few, it's not so big a deal. I would never have attempted a headliner till we did two here in the shop. I would not hesitate to put a headliner in now. I would put a request out in Classic Talk and see if there are any Stangnetters near you that would help you save a few bucks. You may still need to pay for the help, but I would imagine it would not be the shop price...

I have to question how hard a convertible top is if you thought a headliner was intimidating. I'm sure a convertible top is no picnic, but, a headliner....when I had my '68 it took me about an hour and half and then a few hours for glue to settle.

Just something I had never done, seen done, or attempted before. I was only making an analogy to gaining experiance and confidance in various repairs. I'm sure after I get the chance to do a few tops, I will be able to do that on my own as well. I'm happy to risk my own car, but not a customers car. Not sure how your comment helps contributes to answering the posted question?

Simple: you made it sound a if a convertible was something extremely difficult, bt then you said you felt the same way about headliners. Yet I found a headliner to be pretty easy, intuitive in fact. I can't speak for a oonvertible top but I imagine with a decent set of instructions it won't be that bad.

I have done a lot of Mustang upholstery and plenty of headliners, so I though I would try to do my convertible top myself. It turned out OK, but I still have a couple small wrinkles in the sail panel area that I never got out, despite steaming it. Even after reading all the articles and instructions I could get my hands on, it still took me at least 40 hours, and I will never do another. But, I think there is a lot of prep work the average guy can do to save money on a professional install. Typically the front bow area is corroded since it is made of aluminum, so cleaning and prepping this area can save you bucks. Also replacing the tack strips on the front bow as well as the rear bow will save the installer time, and you money. Take out the well liner, clean that area, and replace the well liner yourself after the top is installed. You can also replace the top weatherstrip pieces yourself, as well as making sure the top is lubricated and working well before you bring it into the shop.
A couple other suggestions, don't disturb your top pads, the installer needs them in their original place, they keep the bows at the proper orientation, and unless your top pads are really bad, don't replace them, the originals are much better quality. And that goes for the lower body tack strips as well, unless yours are rotted away, the originals are better. Most top places will sell you tack strip material by the foot, the new stuff is made of urethane, versus the original cardboard type material. Just use stainless steel pop rivets to install it.
GOOD LUCK! :)
Rick D.

I plan to tackle mine this spring, I got this car as a hobby not to build it with my checkbook and the only way I know how to learn is to do. Here is a quick review of what it involves if you change your mind: http://www.convertibletopguys.com/topmanual.shtml

I picked up a copy of the Mustang restoration guide, it has a pretty good walk thru and a template to make bow jigs so everything stays put where it belongs. Here's a look at those pages: http://books.google.com/books?id=O4...s5i&sig=4cVwewrF450XOonA7BMkcHdysr4#PPA163,M1

To do it right it is obviously the type of job that requires great patience and triple checking everything before securing it down no matter what your skill level or experience, not for the timid at all and I do not expect perfect results by any means but my car is rarely seen with the top up and I feel confident that I can handle it and more imprtantly will enjoy having done it myself plus I get to a new air brad and staple gun for my compressor instead of paying for labor and still come out ahead.