Convertible top replacement

• Sponsors (?)

I've done it... Don't fear doing it like these other guys. It's easy.

Just make sure you have a whole weekend set aside to do it.. It's pretty straight forward, just takes a bunch of time to do it... But instead of sending it out and giving a guy $400-500 to do it, do it yourself.. It's hard to screw up.

I've never done one before and I just followed the word document that sage2k is offering you and it went very smoothly... Took me about 30 hours [No lie.]

I do highly suggest doing it yourself though.

So, how'd the top replacement go?

I took mine (1989 GT) to someone who told me I needed to let it sit a week or two and stretch to the top frame. A red flag went up when I heard it because years ago I had a top done in Lakeland Florida and the company that did a 1968 Mustang top for me years ago never told me this back then.

After letting the '89 GT sit a couple of weeks I put the top down the first time and the rear window caught the top of the back seat edge and bound the top momentarily until the glass dropped past the seat edge (I guess under pressure from the dropping top. I didn't know what it was that made the noise but I troubleshot it today and that is what I seemed to find.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to their convertible top when lowering it?

I just bought a 1990 7-Up Convertible too. The guy I bought it from told me he had to drop the glass to lower the top. He also told me that his son decided one day to drop the top when he wasn't home, the top bound on the glass and broke a top frame section. He told me he had to drop the back window to drop the top???? I have NEVER heard that about any convertible. Has anyone else had that problem too?

I considered replacing the top myself and didn't. I'm thinking I should have.