Converting 64 Falcon to EFI. Voltage Regulator questions

cobretti

Oct 19, 2004
Hello Everyone,

I am starting converting my 1964 Falcon to EFI.

I will be using an EFI harness from a 1990 Mustang 5.0.

The motor I have is complete with all accesories attached so I will be using the mustang's alternator.

I want a clean engine compartment so I want to get rid of the falcon's original external Voltage Regulator. I hav a wiring diagram for my falcon and I have a few questions that I would appreciate some assistance with. All in all it looks as if 6 wires (4 conections as two wires connect to the VR and then continue) are connected to the VR.

1) According to the diagram a yellow and black wire runs from the starter relay to the "B" terminal on the VR and then on to the fuse box and ignition switch. I assume this is my "Hot at all times wire for the ignition switch as it also connects to the ciggarette lighter"
If I remove the voltage regulator where do these wires connect to in regards to the alternator wiring?

2) According to the diagram there is a white wire that runs from what would be the original falcon generator to the "F" Terminal of the VR. This wire ends at the VR. What does this wire do and what does the "F" stand for?

3) According to the diagram a yellow and black wire runs from what would be the generator to the "A" terminal on the VR and then on to the Generator indicator lamp. I assume this would trigger the light if the original generator failed. How do I connect this to the mustangs alternator? Do I connect the wire together where it joins the VR and then hook up the other end (the generator end) to the alternator harness? If so to what wire?

4) Finally, according to the diagram a red and black wire runs from what would be the generator and runs to the VR, (Cutoff relay?) What does this do and how do I hook this up to my mustang wiring.

Thank you for your answers.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the welcome. Nope, I am not the same guy you are referring too, wish I was :D

I did some more reading about voltage regulators and alternators and alternators last night. While it helped me understand things more it still leaves me with some questions.

I understand that the "B" terminal on the voltage regulator is for Battery. This wire in the 64 would run from the + post of the Starter relay to the "B" terminal of the voltage regulator, then continue on to the fuse box and then to the ignition switch and cigarette lighter. The 5.0 alternator I believe connects to the + side of the starter relay via a 14 Ga Dark Green wire that connects to an orrange and black wire and yellow wire (I don't know if this means a one wire alternator or two. Technically two wires join the alternator then join each other and that one wire then connects to the + side of the starter relay.

Now Connecting the new (5.0) alternator isn't the issue as it is pretty straight forward. I am wondering what to do with the existing falcon wires that run to the VR. I now understand that the "F" terminal on the VR stands for FIELD. Since the falcon had an external VR there was a white wire from the generator FIELD terminal to the VR Field terminal. The new (5.0) alternator should already have this connection since the VR is built in to the Alternator, so I don't need to worry about that one.

I now understand that the "A" terminal on the VR stands for ARM. The falcon would have had a yellow and black wire that ran from the ARM terminal on the Generator to the ARM terminal on the VR and then continue to the Generator indicator light. Looking at the falcon diagram it looks like the other connection on the Generator indicator light connects to the "RUN" terminal of the ignition switch. So I assume that if the generator failed it would ground the yellow and black wire lighting up the Generator indicator lamp. The new (5.0) alternator has a green/red wire that runs to the dash battery light then to the ignition switch. So I think I have this one figured out as well.

So that leaves me with what to do with the other two wires left over, the Black and yellow "Battery" wire and a red wire.

I think (correct me if I am wrong) I can do the following:

Black/Yellow Battery wire: Since the mustang alternator wiring will have its own "Battery" conection to the + terminal of the starter relay the only reason to keep the existing yellow and black wiring is to supply the "Hot at all times" to the ignition switch and the ciggarette lighter. So I think I can connect this wire directly to the + terminal post of the starter relay.

Now the red wire that would run from the generator to the side of the VR I am not so sure about. I think it is a ground and that it won't be necessary.

Anyone???????????