Cool Kill Switch Idea I Learned from a Cop Video

five_o_stang

Jan 8, 2004
Georgia
As a patrol deputy, I see all kinds of "safety" videos showing how criminals like to hide their stuff. I received a video the other day that I thought would make for an super secretive kill switch. I'm not sure how it all tied together, but here's what I saw:

Basically in the video, they guy is hiding a gun in a secret compartment that is opened via electric switch. The idea here is to take the same combination and turn it into a fuel cutoff, etc.

For his switch to work, he had to have a magnet creating one part of the circuit, and his glove box had to be open to create the complete circuit. Clever guy would keep his wallet in the glove box, and kept the magnet readily availble. Cop asks for ID...it's in the glove box. Cop goes to run the ID, he grabs magnet puts it in place, magic gun compartment opens under the steering wheel. It was pretty bad ass (as far as cleverness points, not for coolness).

Anyway, for a good kill switch, a two part combo really seems ideal (and not just a switch board that needs a specific pattern). But maybe say, rear defrost and dome light must both be on, or a hidden switch plus any normal function device.

Anyway, I was searching for kill switch info and realized that would be perfect. Thought I'd share.

• Sponsors (?)

That is a cool idea. It would just trigger some sort of a solenoid to break the ignition circuit, or the fuel pump or something. Seems like it could be pretty useful in theft protection.

Heres a thought: A fake deck of cards with a speaker magnet inside. Put it in a particular location inside the center console (which has a solenoid switch mounted underneath it) and booya- no new car for the bad guys.

Does the magnet like work to close a set of contacts? I can see how you can do the glove box, but I don't see how the magnet part works

Electrical stuff is my demon. Confuses the heck out of me, so I'm really not sure how that part works. All I know is that they had it rigged so that it would trigger an electric motor to open a hidden compartment, so I know that there's a way.

That fake deck of cards thing is cool too because you can just pick em up and go. If they know were the fuel relay is, they'll see that you didn't take that and it'll get 'em all confused. And they won't be able to find an aftermarket switch.

I'm thinking I just might have to find a way to make this work.

Does the magnet like work to close a set of contacts?:shrug:

Yes, these types of switches are often used in home alarm systems to protect doors and windows. There are two parts to the switch one part has wires that are connected to the circuit and the other part is a matching magnet that is used to close (or open depending on the configuration) the switch when it is brought in close proximity to the wired part of the switch.

Man you just need a kill switch! Not something crazy!!! I have one under the dash part on the driver's side. I still have a hard time finding it and I own the car for 11 years now. Its so tiny I easily skip right past it. Fix someone is trying to steal your car then I doubt they will be looking for a kill switch anyway, plus they wouldn't have the time to find it if you have one. But never the less you have a cool idea, if you get it to work thats BA! Good luck man!

lol @7up.

right now, I have less than $1000 in a 4 banger. I'm not too worried. She's getting a 351swap in a few weeks, and when I start adding multiple Gs to this car, I figure it would be fun to make it, well, fun.

Plus it'll be great to tell my friends they can drive it...if they can crank it. And then watch them never figure it out....hehe.

i think it would be cool to have the magnetic switch mounted so it works when the glove box is open. as in wired to a relay for the start position on the ignition. that way, you can only start the car when the glove box is open. once it starts, shut the glove box, and drive away.