Cool new Driveline mod (Reduce vibes)-cheap!!

BullittAndy

Nov 9, 2003
I just picked up a tranny tailshaft vibration dampner from a Mazda 929. It bolts to the tailshaft of the tranny and is a heavy metal plate with two large blocks of rubber.

I used a piece of angle iron to bolt it to my T-5 tailshaft and just tested it out-it works great!!

It greatly reduced the vibes felt in the shifter and may reduce driveline vibes as well- I don't have enough of those to tell for sure.

For $6 for the dampner-its a great deal. Any large Japanese rear wheel drive car is likely to have one of these dampners-Mazda 929, Infinitis and Lexus. I don't know if these are "tuned" to a specific frequency so that may alter effectiveness.

Somebody else try and let's see if this works consistently.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you still have the "dog bone" on your rear axle? It was supposed to do the same thing.

Having your driveshaft balanced may help. The other thing to check is the alignment of the paint marks on the rear axle flange and driveshat flange.

I've done all the normal vibe reducing stuff, in fact just replaced my 4.10's to 3.55's and that made a big difference. This mod was just a shot in the dark and it worked! Props to me.

Seriously, somebody else try this.