Coolant crossover pipe cap/plug

Steve491

Apr 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Does anybody know where to get a new cap/plug for the coolant crossover pipe? It has a 1/4 inch square drive to remove it and it's been abused over the years to the point where it's trashed. I've looked on the internet parts sites with no luck, the Ford dealers can't find a part number and the pipe itself is discontinued. Anybody else ever had this problem?
Thanks in advance, Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Stuck coolant crossover plug, eh? You're not the first person, don't worry.

Try letting the engine run for a few minutes and THEN try to remove it using a quality pair of vice grips.

Allowing the engine to run for 5 mins or so will warm up the metal surfaces - similar to using a torch to loosen stubborn bolts. The 1/4" plug on the cap commonly gets stripped out due to hasty attempts at removing it with the end of a 1/4" socket wrench and lack of leverage.

If that doesn't remove the cap, you can always try to weld a socket to the cap and remove it.

Or, if you choose to replace the entire coolant crossover assembly ($$$)...

...one of the these reputable parts guys should be able to help you out:

Randy Stinchcomb

The Parts Counter w/ Randy Stinchcomb - Modular Revolution Forums

OR

Steve at Tousley Ford 1-800-328-9552

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

G'luck! :cheers:

Thanks for the info. I figured someone has had this problem in the past because it looks like a poor design to have such a small "wrench" point for such a big plug. Somebody's already tried the vise grip or channel lock pliers, including me, but the exposed lip is too thin. Heating it up might help, but I'd have to crack it loose and wait for it to cool down before removing it. :rolleyes:
FYI, I got a response from an eBayer about an aftermarket plug. He said a Russell Fitting number 660290 size 10 will work perfect. I can't verify this for sure until I bust out the old one, but he seemed confident with his info.
Steve