Coolant Leak And Oil Leak!!

Lakey

Jul 27, 2014
Middle isalnd NY
he guys so i recently did a coolant flush on my 1996 mustang gt. after i noticed that my coolant was leaking alot. so i put a huge sheet under my car to look for leaks dripping there was none. started smelling something burning smoke also coming out of exhaust. i guess its probably my head gasket but no water/coolant in my oil or vice verse. i haven't driven her since i noticed it. but now there's oil leaking fast out of the oil cooler weep hole. maybe the coolant o rings in the oil cooler is messed up would this be causing my problems?

• Sponsors (?)

Sure sounds like the oil cooler O-ring has gone out. Common problem on the 96 Mustang and the other Mustangs (Cobra) equipped with an oil cooler. The hardest part of this is finding the replacement O-ring.

The other option is to replace the oil cooler with the regular oil filter adapter.

Regardless of which option used, recommend replacing the block to oil filter adapter gasket at the same time.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like the oil cooler O-ring has gone out. Common problem on the 96 Mustang and the other Mustangs equipped with an oil cooler. The hardest part of this is finding the replacement O-ring.

The other option is to replace the oil cooler with the regular oil filter adapter.

Regardless of which option used, recommend replacing the block to oil filter adapter gasket at the same time.

i found this http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=967 .. but what is the the regular oil filter adapter i should replace?

That kit should fix you up like a million bucks! I wish I had found something like this when my oil cooler started leaking.

The "regular" oil filter adapter is an option when it's not possible to re-build the oil cooler. As later model year GT's don't have an oil cooler, the case could be made that the GT doesn't really need it.