Coolant Leak

Sketchy_GT

Nov 13, 2016
I've posted about my mostly stock 99 GT Vert before and I've searched around but I can't find anyone having this same issue. So I pulled up to a car show last weekend and realized I was watering the parking lot and when I started searching for the leak I found it dripping from the heater hose that runs to the middle of the intake in the back, not the one on top on the passenger side. I pulled the hose off that I thought was leaking and I couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I replaced it anyway and the leak is still there so I'm figuring that the only other thing is that the pipe that runs under the intake and into the back of the water pump must have a hole in it right at the back of the motor. Has anyone else had this problem just wondering before I start wrenching to pull off my intake Thanks, -Dan

• Sponsors (?)

How bad is pulling the intake, and can I pick that tube up at a local parts store or do I need to order it from like LMR
Not a bad job at all-just a little time consuming. Takes a few specialty tools,but pretty straight forward...I'm sure Dorman makes the tube aftermarket,so you should be able to Get it any parts house,or at least at Ford

Not a bad job at all-just a little time consuming. Takes a few specialty tools,but pretty straight forward...I'm sure Dorman makes the tube aftermarket,so you should be able to Get it any parts house,or at least at Ford

Could you name the specialty tools needed I'd like to be fully prepared before I start, I've pulled intakes off older stuff but never on the mod motors

I did it in 2 sessions of about 2 or 3 hours. I'm a slow worker. Will need fuel line disconnect tools. Make it easier to take the rails off with the intake and swap stuff over while the intakes are off. Then plug the new loaded intake back on. Not a terrible job. Just go slow and label stuff.

So one of the bolts that holds the intake down and also holds the thermostat housing broke in half... any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    502.3 KB · Views: 87
The same problem caused me to replace a lower aluminum tuned port intake manifold back in darker time. Had a firebird habit before mustangs.

If you can get a bite on it with vise grips that's how I would start. Try to back out out. If it breaks off flush you're going to have to drill. Lots of pb blaster either way. Don't heat the aluminum head. It will warp and ruin the head.

Past that you're drilling. The easy out broke off in the center of the drilled bolt on my old intake. Costly mistake. I dont recommend them but a more talented hand could probably work some magic with them. Id just keep drilling until the bolt crumbles and re-tap the bolt hole to clear the threads.

It's going to take a long time and make you furious. Cheaper than replacing a head though. Best of luck to you.

I've posted about my mostly stock 99 GT Vert before and I've searched around but I can't find anyone having this same issue. So I pulled up to a car show last weekend and realized I was watering the parking lot and when I started searching for the leak I found it dripping from the heater hose that runs to the middle of the intake in the back, not the one on top on the passenger side. I pulled the hose off that I thought was leaking and I couldn't find anything wrong with it, but I replaced it anyway and the leak is still there so I'm figuring that the only other thing is that the pipe that runs under the intake and into the back of the water pump must have a hole in it right at the back of the motor. Has anyone else had this problem just wondering before I start wrenching to pull off my intake Thanks, -Dan

Im in the same situation you were in. I noticed coolant on top of my enegine, passenger side sitting in a pool on top of the fuel injectors. I pulled the upper intake of yesterday to check the gasket, and it was clean and perfect sadly. What now? What do I check now?

Im in the same situation you were in. I noticed coolant on top of my enegine, passenger side sitting in a pool on top of the fuel injectors. I pulled the upper intake of yesterday to check the gasket, and it was clean and perfect sadly. What now? What do I check now?

Sadly our intakes are made of plastic, over time thru heat cycles and just normal use there become cracks in the intake, after reinstalling mine i noticed i had a small amount of water seeping through a small crack in the front, with a bit of JB weld i bought myself a little more time but there will be a point were ill have to replace it. in your situation i would guess you have a crack somewhere, but it couldnt hurt to change the gasket while youre in there, 35.00 at autozone. Maybe youll get lucky

Sadly our intakes are made of plastic, over time thru heat cycles and just normal use there become cracks in the intake, after reinstalling mine i noticed i had a small amount of water seeping through a small crack in the front, with a bit of JB weld i bought myself a little more time but there will be a point were ill have to replace it. in your situation i would guess you have a crack somewhere, but it couldnt hurt to change the gasket while youre in there, 35.00 at autozone. Maybe youll get lucky

First off, I cant tell you how thankful I am for the response. I havent yet really examined the upoer intake, I guess it would be a qood idea to check it. A friend told me that once the gasket comes off, a new one is required to be put back on. It looks like the coolant is seeping through the middle fuel injector on the passenger side. But i was told that cannot happen?

Im gonna say there has to be a hole there somewhere, the injector sprays into a hole not connected to the coolant canals and even if coolant got to the injector id say it has more of a chance to get in your motor than to come up

Im gonna say there has to be a hole there somewhere, the injector sprays into a hole not connected to the coolant canals and even if coolant got to the injector id say it has more of a chance to get in your motor than to come up

I hope you're right, i was really thinking blown head gasket after checking the intake gasket and it looked to be clean. However, now that you say hole in intake, that makes since. A junkyard near me is selling the upper intake for 50$. Good or bad?