cooling fan wiring problem

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
I decided to take a road trip today to stretch the car's legs since the 5.0 conversion was completed and after about 55 miles or so the temps started to climb slowly as I was riding down the interstate.

I took my exit and pulled into a CVS parking lot and all I can hear is water boiling over. So I open the hood and the fan isn't running! Even with the A/C on the fan wouldn't do anything. After letting the car cool down and refilling it with water I was able to wiggle the connector around and make the fan work again. For a safety measure I unplugged the ECT so the fan would run constantly. No more problems with overheating the rest of the day.

So, as I'm looking at the connector the first problem is the tab is broken off. Second, one of the terminals is black! Third, the wires are corroded pretty badly where they enter the connector.

TLDR: Fan plug is bad, who has replaced theirs and where did you get it from. Did you use butt connectors or did you solder them on and how reliable was the connection?

on a side note, I really think my ECT sensor is bad to begin with. For the past week I've noticed the fan would come on as soon as I started the car in the morning without the A/C on. But today even after wiggling the wires around the fan refused to come on until I unplugged the ECT. I think this may be the root of my stalling issues!

• Sponsors (?)

Oh and one more thing (because I'm too lazy to look) can someone tell me which pin on the CCRM I can use to switch the high speed fan on from inside? I know all I need to do is ground that particular circuit to make the fan operate. I will do this after I fix the pigtail.