Engine Correct cable to starter install?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Is there a specific way that the starter cable bolts to the starter???

Thank you...
DSCF1085.JPG
DSCF1086.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Just use a bolt with a washer, ignore the tab on the end.
So could I cut off the tab? Service manual picture does not show a tab.. Not enough room to come straight off the starter with the tab...
Also, do I put the cable in the gap between the brass and steel connectors on the starter??

Annnnnnnnd????
Outstanding selling point,
Really just kidding, Ford used the same basic starter design for what, like thirty years?
And, since my lack knowledge about Fords ( kinda obvious I'm sure) When I bolt the original starter to the original Bell housing, with the original flywheel ( yes its been surfaced) I know this part of the rebuild will function correctly....
Heck I even had the original clutch pressure plate rebuilt by a local clutch shop...... Bolted right up....

Mopar has a newer quiet, faster turning starter too.. I had my original rebuilt on my Dodge and it worked fine..... Best part is it still had that Mopar noisy cranking sound........
DSCF0714.JPG

Ok. so is it a special screw or bolt that holds the cable to the starter?? I cannot find anything that will thread into these threads... Seem to be 1/4" but the brass part is slightly off so I can't get a straight shot at it and I do not want to screw it up..
Appreciate any help here......
DSCF1086.JPG

Annnnnnnnd????
Outstanding selling point,
Really just kidding, Ford used the same basic starter design for what, like thirty years?
@limp
A local rebuild by a electric motor shop who stands behind their work is a wise choice. I had a tech at a stealership that would only put in alternators and starters he rebuilt for reliability sake.
Trim the tab and put the cable on top of the sandwich.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
@limp
A local rebuild by a electric motor shop who stands behind their work is a wise choice. I had a tech at a stealership that would only put in alternators and starters he rebuilt for reliability sake.
Trim the tab and put the cable on top of the sandwich.
I agree 100%, the dump truck has the same starter from the factory, repaired one time by a local shop that's been around for ever, that's 600k miles.
think about that for a moment.

I believe it’s a metric bolt
On my way to the hardware store with the starter AGAIN...
Pretty interesting info so far.... I called a local ford dealer ( very helpful young guy) and he looked up the part number ( discontinued) but he googled it while we were talking and it showed 1/4-20.... thats what I have and its not correct... Forgot to get the Part # from him.........
I called the electric rebuild place and they told me 5/16 fine or course... I don't think so.....
Hopefully I will not be in a hurry at the hardware store this time and I will make sure what I get fits.... Will give the metrics a try.....
thanks everyone.......