cost of floorboard repair

so my eyes overwhelmed my brain when I saw this car. a neglected 70 Coupe with a 302, 3 spd. replacing carpet I found a lot of rust and some fiberglass repair plus it looks like the triangle pieces are rusted and need replaced. Two questions.
1. Is this car worth restoring
2. Is $40/hr labor for welding still a good estimate?

Dave C
owner of Maggie's 67 and the neglected 70

• Sponsors (?)

replacing the major body parts with Dyncorn parts but that is not much. electrical, mechanical good. engine strong. gave her a good tuneup.

Speaking of which - 302 - where are the timing marks? found the pointer but cannot find on balancer.
dc

I always replace brakes, tires, rubber hoses, belts, etc. on old cars when I first get them. that way I know in good shape.
dave
replacing the major body parts with Dyncorn parts but that is not much. electrical, mechanical good. engine strong. gave her a good tuneup.

Speaking of which - 302 - where are the timing marks? found the pointer but cannot find on balancer.
dc

Honestly.....floors are a great DIY project(even if you don't know how to weld when you start...you will at least be able to plug weld competently by the time you are done). I think I have something like 60 hours in my floor...and I cut and patched it piece by piece. If you replace it as one piece you can significantly cut that time down. $450 for the floor...maybe $500 for welder and supplies, say $200 for misc things that are helpful like self tapping screws, paint, etc etc and you still come out far under what you pay someone else to do it.

Reactions: 1 users