Coupe prices... what the heck

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Ok, so the prices on coupes has gone up, we know that, but lately it’s like people are crazy... I saw a stock roller today, no mods, ragged blue interior and a spray paint primer body, for $5500 today and he thought the price was a deal..

• Sponsors (?)

For a decent true 5.0 5 speed body people will pay a bunch of money. A halfway decent 4 banger notch will get 1500 to 2k.

It's crazy. In the late 90s to early 2000s you could get a running notch 5.0 for 800 bucks. Those days are gone.....long gone.

Yeah, makes me wish I would have kept my rusted floor and shock tower Notch. My favorite fox mustang. I almost kept it, but I came across my current rust free low mileage GT. I wanted a car I could drive and work on, not something that would have taken me years and thousands to fix up. I loved the color combo of this one. 1990, the vinyl seats were in very good shape. All black interior, which was a pain. 190k. Some dude flew in from Dallas and drove it back 3 days after I listed it for sale. I told him what was up with it. Too bad, maybe I should have kept it. :( Sold it for almost 6k though. They are worth more. There was just something about the GT I bought. I had to have it. It was a all stock, clean car.
DD7326DC-0B87-45E0-A3AE-871182A49000.jpeg
822A4560-6394-4899-B662-78FA552A92BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's funny how it was the exact opposite fifteen years ago when GTs were a premium and no one wanted a coupe. You couldnt open a want ad and find a reasonably priced GT but coupes were a dime a dozen and were maybe 4k tops for a really nice driver and 2500 for something decent. Now it is out of control, 5500 for a roller? GTFOH...I WANT ONE.

Do you think sn95 will see a similar price increase in future years? Seems to be the next step theoretically once foxbodies reach the unobtainable prices

Hard to say, fox body owners only see Sn cars as a means to 5 lug swap and better brakes, S550/197 owners see it as an old unrefined platform not worthy of a second look. I guess you have to of had/have one to want one . Lol

The young kids love them now.....even more than our beloved foxes. The sn 95 5.0 5 speed will see a climb in numbers as the amount of them on the road decline. The 2v 4.6 gt is starting to get a cult like following too.

My 19yr old turned down a calypso hatch 5 speed that I already have a v8 for. He wants an 03 04 mustang regular gt.....actually chose that over a fox...what the 7734 !!!. He's an 855 ( that's for the guys my age that had pagers )

Reactions: 1 users
Seen this poor guy out at the local pick and pull. Car is actually in good condition. A little banged up but nothing crazy, interior was intact. Pondered the idea of saving it but my wife would go nuts!! I mean it would take a little work but a decent roller.
8EAC32F4-D1D4-4D5F-B0FA-62C3C75418A7.jpeg
7A14BDA6-00AE-4651-91A4-D8441C1F5388.jpeg
888AE56D-BD01-4AA2-8F5A-07FCE670E752.jpeg
695368D0-0F59-416F-A017-8D55A16B7A6C.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
There’s a 95 GT near me. It’s Teal with matte black Cobra style wheels. It really appeals to me. There’s nothing special about it really but for some reason , it looks great to me. I’d own it no problem!

This is my coupe that I sold in 2001, and bought back a little over a year ago when I found it on craigslist. I was the original owner, bought it new in 1993. Bought it back for $1200

8VhBjR.jpg

Got it all fixed up

hDM0Yv.jpg

I wouldn't sell it for less than $1,865,374.99...….

The point I will make here is keep CASH on hand. Hide it from your spouse. Doesn't have to be a LOT of money, but a decent amount. When these types of deals pop up on craigslist you gotta jump...no time to think it over.....and you gotta have cash. If you tell the seller "I'm gonna run down to the bank and take out some money" that deal might not be there when you get back...because the dude with cash in his pocket bought it while you were at the bank.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think sn95 will see a similar price increase in future years? Seems to be the next step theoretically once foxbodies reach the unobtainable prices

I think so.

It's similar to buying a house in a good town. Prices rise and people can't afford to live there so they look at the town next door that has houses for 1/2 as much. $15k for a notchback is crazy , but then look and see they can get a 4.6L Cobra for half that and realize what a better deal it is.

80's cars are the in thing right now.
For foxes, it likely goes like this:
93 cobra R
Saleen
93 cobra
coupe
lx hatch
Gt

So while coupes are expensive, people that buy them probably can't afford the 3 above them.

You think coupes have gotten bad, I always like to look at grand nationals. (A guy can dream, the reality is though I need a paint job on my fox more than a grand national).
https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/86-buick-regal-type-grand-national/6786716751.html
Saw that the other day

I was also a fan of IROC's, but seems all of them on craigs are rusted out.

For reference.... I bought my 1989 LX 5.0 for $4,200. I bought it from a guy in Montana and had it shipped to Philly for $750. 107k original miles, stock engine and suspension work, very clean. I know they are getting ol more expensive but deals are to be had still.

You can definitely find deals...especially if the seller is the type that doesn't frequent forums or social media and just looks up KBB on their coupe, sees $1500 as a value and asks $2k because they just put new tires on it.

Personally if I was to buy another fox in the 87-93 range, I'd get a GT vert...even an AOD one. Nobody wants them at all At this point in time. 10-20 years from now I bet things will change when we all have bad knees

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users