Couple basic questions...96-98 Cobra

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
Hey guys,

For the past few years, I have been into 5.0 Mustangs. Just got a clean '97 Cobra and had a few questions. I just wanted to know how much oil you guys put in your car. The manual says 6 quarts. Seems a little high, but again, I am used to the 5.0. Also, what type of oil are you guys using? I bought the car from the original owner who had all work done at a dealer. So the car has regular oil in it. I have used Mobil 1 in my 89 but I don't want to go synthetic with this car. What is a good oil for my Cobra? The car is all stock. I was going to go with Castrol GTX that I have used in all my other Mustangs.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford had a TSB on the dipsticks for our cars. They are innacurate. Put 6.25 qts. in. Some people put 6.5 or 7 quarts in but Ford concluded that 6.25 was all you need. As for oil brand, I don't know...I just use Mobil 1 synthetic.

5.0's 4 ever said:
I run 6qts in mine and use royal purple 5w30
For a non synthetic I like mobil 1, I use that in my 88.

Mobil 1 IS synthetic.

GTX is one of the better dino-oils around. Check out Bob for some decent information.

I use Mobil 1 and AC Delco filters (I'd use M1 filters, but they are $10 a hit) in everything I drive. Its simply a superior oil.