Crown Vic chassis same as stange basically???

• Sponsors (?)

Michael Yount said:
"Of all people, you did a 5.0 swap into an '82 Volvo and are ripping this guy for hopping up a crown vic? "

Dang right NKau - what's your point? :)

I never really have a point to make.........I just figured that deep down you actually really liked the idea :D Anyone on here ever think of putting a fuelie 5.0 into a nasty looking fairmont? I'm pretty sure all the fox chassis parts should fit on one of those.

.....I'm with you on the Fairmont NKau - a good 800-1000 lbs. lighter than the Vic depending on the body style; there are more than a few sleeper LTD's based on the later version of that one.

No - deep down doing a Vic seems like a complete waste of resource and effort -- to me. But that's the point -- doesn't really matter what I think; if someone wants to do a Vic, that's their baby. The old road racer in me always goes for less weight - it's genetic...

Hmmmm...
When I was a service manager for a Ford dealer back in 1980, I wound up with a dumpy red Fairmont station wagon with a sparsely equipped tan vinyl interior for a demonstrator at one point. I wasn't too thrilled with it until I drove it. It was a leftover fleet vehicle with a 302 and auto. trans. I had forgotten about that! It wasn't a HO, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Anyway, he's already got his CV.

Well, havent we all wanted to drive a policecar at some point? :D :D :D :D :D

All I can say is "Blues Brothers" changed my life ;)

I say start at the other end. Get the granny suspension and transmission out. This is easy since you said there was no tranny to start with. Gear it to hell with 4.30's, an AOD (you'll need the OD for the steep gears) with a transgo shift kit, "a" servo and kevlar band and 3000-3500 stall. Put in stiffer springs so that thing will actually hook. Those suspensions are soft as clay.

You do all this first and you wont need to power through it, you'll torque multiply through it and make a fun zippy vic with even a near stock motor. Then do the motor as time permits.

The question qas asked if i have 5 more people who want to ride inthis with m..yes...my 2 room mates..my bud whos gonna work ont with me who has 2 blown stangs<93 vert 306 14lbs vortech and a 96 saleen replica witha vortech....a 99 f250 with 40's/20's and 10in of lift...a 93 2wd 5.2 grand cherokee...91 gt with 351w...and a few others> ....and a couple girls i have to choose from at my side. Yeah im gonna dot he trans and rearfirst...im not going to go with a 3k + stall though....just a 2k-2200 TCI and 4.10 gears. Im considering adding Rancho rs9000 adj. shocks as well. Along witht he transgo shift kit.....and i might even throw the FRPP AOD wid gear set kit..it makes first gear 2.84 and i forget what it makes second. Yes it will be heavy....yes this wont be exactly easy sine its a speed density car......yes i can do this cheap...no its not a "good" idea....but neither was a 4800lb truck with 380hp and 450ftlbs trq stock....and now makes way more than that at the wheels. :nice:

Rock on, guy! Long live the body-on-frame beasties! :banana:

If I were to use the stock block on my '90 Town Car and I had the funds (and spare time) to invest in it at will, I'd bolt up the following:

4.10 gears (4.30 might be a tad bit overkill, or maybe not) with LSD of choice
Medium-spicey shift kit of choice
CVPI (Crown Vic Police Interceptor) aluminum or metal matrix driveshaft
11.25" torque converter from 99+ CVPI or Mustang GT
Mustang tranny servo (to allow for higher shifts)
CVPI springs front/MOOG cargo springs rear
ADDCO sway bars front/rear
Gabriel Spring Assist cargo shocks front/rear or VST's (Bilstein HD's tighten the ride up a lot, but at the cost of riding stiffer than a stock Mustang GT)
225/60/R15's or 225/50/R16's - trust me, traction isn't THAT hard to come by on a Panther car
Stock E7 heads/HO intake/cam/ECM
65mm throttle body (BBK, Edelbrock, FRPP, whatever)
1/2" phenolic spacer (actually sort of necessary when flipping the intake
Crane Cams 1.7 RR's
19# four-hole injectors sourced from late F-150 5.0/early 4.6L
Fresh timing chain/gear set (since you'll have that off for the cam, anyway)
Jeg's or Summit O/R H-pipe (most X-pipes probably wouldn't fit up right without modification)
Two 2.5" Mustang flow tubes (MAC has them around $40) leading to Dynomax Ultra-Flows and exiting through custom-bent rear-exit tailpipes (stock locations, nicely concealed)
MarkVIII radiator fan with DCC controller
Underdrive pullies of choice (March, FRPP, BBK, whatever)
3g alternator (to support luxury accessories, and especially for rad. fan and pullies)

...and if you really feel froggy, hook up a 100-hp shot of happy gas. Low 15's/high 14's on motor, 14's for sure on the bottle. All of this list could be applied directly to your car, just the same. Nothing outrageously fast, but a heckuva lotta fun for a full-size cruiser, and great for priceless stares of shock from cocky 16-second riceboys at the track that get stomped by a full-size "geezermobile." :rlaugh:

Did I miss anything?

Sleepers rock. My Cougar gets about the same reaction. If you want to make some low end torque to get that boat up and moving, start saving up for a Kenne Bell Screw blower. They're not excessively expensive, since they're non-intercooled and in the long run, it will end up costing you no more than a stroker with a host of bolt ons anyway.

Don't get too carried away with all the suggestions! Remember, you''re still SD unless you convert. I didn't need to change anything radical on my swap, so I know it will handle that. You'll have to investigate the tranny when you go to the 4.10s as this was not a stock gear on this car (governor, servos, etc.)

Yeah im not doing a 460. And 4.10 shouldnt be a problem with the stock trans since its the same as that stang trans jus less stall. Its also not going to get a blower...KB will cost me 3500+....which is more than will have into this car and all the mods. Im still going for the Mass Air swap a mild over bore or stroker and spray.