Damn car died when braking and rearended someone!

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
Neways i been having this problem for a while.. my car randonly dies when i drop it in nutural.. usually when braking.. go to stop at a light or something.. neways my idle and everything is fine.. i think.. neways i really hit the car infront of me hard.. thanks to our hefty bumpers no dmg was done but broken headlights.. but the car infront of me.. his whole rear bumper fell of lol.. neways i shut my car off and after exchanged info i went to start and nothing.. lights and stero and everything working.. just wouldnt crank over.. turn they key and nada.. then a couple of mins later and tried and it started up just fine.. ne ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I know my 93 has a fuel shutoff switch.. My guess is that it shuts off fuel during an impact... But I would think you would have to manually reset it.

Dunno about the shutoff problem... I know carb'd cars will sometimes cut off when hitting the brakes hard if the floats arent set right.

My old '90 used to die all the time like that... Although I think it was from lack of tune up parts and an extremely abused life.

Too bad about your car. Got any pictures though?

The inertia switch is located behind the plastic trim covering the driver's side taillight. I thas a red button that you press to reset it.

The dying while coasting to a stop is usually a bad VSS sensor. See the sticky "Help me create the Surging Idle Checklist" at the top of the forum for help with your idle problems.