Damn It... Fixable?

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I just removed the intake manifold and valve covers so I can look for a casting number to find out if there heads are open or closed chamber. And this is what I find... The motor is a 351c 4 bolt main with 4V heads.

Everything else looks fine except for this. Are these heads still usuable/fixable? What could cause this?

4_zpsa2eb4111.jpg

3_zps0ae844a7.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

What do you want to be that got broke when the new valve guides were pressed in. Personally....I'd just run it. I've seen guys grind them down further than that when porting.

That is a good point. I think I will port it down to keep it from breaking anything else off and do the others to match.

That is a good point. I think I will port it down to keep it from breaking anything else off and do the others to match.

Don't take em down too much. They do after all help keep the valve guide aligned. Unless you plan on porting the entire head for racing purposes, I'd probably just debur the sharp edges and leave it alone.

Normally I like to throw a little JB Weld at everything, but you don't want to chance it breaking loose and ending up getting dropped back in on the valve, or into the combustion chamber.