darn stock antenna...how do ya get it off?

pepsi1

Nov 16, 2004
hey guys, today i took a good look at my II and realized...the antenna looks really dumb...i tried twisting pulling and all that..and i'm about to resort to cutting it off...is there some fancy trick i don't know?? help!

-JC

• Sponsors (?)

Pop the chrome cap off the top of the base.

Remove the screws.

Remove the antenna.

You'll be sorry, factory antenna is about the best going.

If the antenna is to tight to undo by hand, then use some pliers wrapped in a rag to keep from scratching it. If your wanting the whole assembly off, then once the antenna is off you can gently pry the base cover off, and then theres 4 screws looking at you. Take them out, then get inside the car, undo the antenna cable from the back of the stereo, then pull the whole assembly out from the fender, working the cable out from under the dash as you go.

ok i get how to remove it..but what if you like the crome piece(not the gapeing hole) and you just don't want the giant wire hanging out..can you take just the antyenna off without removeing everything?

I'm not sure if the II's came with an ant. that had a removable mast. I know the later Fords did, but I dont think the II did. I swapped a later model in that has a removable mast so it would fin under a car cover easier.

The OEM antenna for the MII was all one piece, and you can't unscrew the mast. So you'll either need to remove it, or put as different one in. The later Ford antennas have the same 4 bolt base, and have a mast that screws in.

You could also do what we did with my brothers car, and shorten the mast. You pop the ball off the top, shorten the mast, then drill out the ball slightly to fit the thicker part of the mast and press it back on.

WHat made the Ford antenna so effective is it's a 'tuned' 1/4 wave antenna. If you want to keep 'tune' for FM reception the antenna needs cut in half to make it an 1/8 wave, or 13.66 inches.