• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Dash Removal Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 87397
  • Start date Start date Feb 8, 2008
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 8, 2008
#1
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #1
Hey all I'm removing my dash to re-wire a bunch of stuff and I have every screw I can find removed and the dash is so close to coming out but it is hung up somewhere near the steering column alsmost like behind where the gauge cluster goes. I know there must be another screw I'm missing. Do I have to drop the steering column to get to some hidden ones I can't see or what. I've removed every screw on the top, sides, and underneath, but can't seem to find this last one. My service manual for the car is in another state so I couldn't look up anything in it. Any ideas?
 

4G-KDMP

10 Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
935
19
39
CA
Feb 8, 2008
#2
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #2
Have you released the speedo cable yet?
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 8, 2008
#3
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #3
4G-KDMP said:
Have you released the speedo cable yet?
Click to expand...

Yeah. everything is out of the dash.
 

TRWXXA

Member
Jan 18, 2003
190
1
19
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!... Made you look.
Feb 8, 2008
#4
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #4
According to the Ford Mustang Service Manual, dropping the steering column is one of the steps in the dash removal process.
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 8, 2008
#5
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #5
TRWXXA said:
According to the Ford Mustang Service Manual, dropping the steering column is one of the steps in the dash removal process.
Click to expand...

Damn! I was hoping that was not the case, but oh well. It must be done. Thanks for looking it up for me
 
K

kingmeirl

Member
Feb 3, 2008
65
0
7
Feb 8, 2008
#6
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #6
I dropped my steering column and removed the dash to replace the heater core. SAME thing happened to me. and i have pics to prove it. I couldnt get the whole thing out even with the steering column dropped. It was odd, but i managed to pry out the box containing the heater core without totally removing the dash. Sorry I couldn't help.
 

ALMOST STOCK

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2000
1,250
41
88
CA.
Feb 8, 2008
#7
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #7
Before you start removing your steering column.

I've removed my whole dash 2 different times and neither time have I had to remove the steering column to accomplish that!

View attachment 331329

Obviously you've removed all the screws.

View attachment 331331

View attachment 331333
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 9, 2008
#8
  • Feb 9, 2008
  • #8
Thanks for the diagram man. It's got to be one small bolt/screw im missing. The whole dash is basically hanging there waiting to come off. I'll hit it again in the morning and see if I can find the last bolt. It usually helps me when I take a break and then go back to it later on.
 

PUNISHER RACING

Active Member
Aug 27, 2007
1,124
0
36
FORD CITY, PA.
Feb 9, 2008
#9
  • Feb 9, 2008
  • #9
there is a bolt that goes through the top of your pedal assembly that hold the dash down remove it, and drop the column a bit
 

faststang90

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
522
16
49
baytown texas
Feb 9, 2008
#10
  • Feb 9, 2008
  • #10
my 93 car

i replace the heater corein my car and did not pull the dash it was not hard think it took about 2 hours . i have done it twice. u just move it up. been a few years since i did one. u drop the little piece that on the side down and get your hand in there to get to the bolts
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 9, 2008
#11
  • Feb 9, 2008
  • #11
Well I'm doing some re-wiring. It doesn't need a heater core at the moment, but i suppose it couldn't hurt to change it while I have the dash out. I'm contemplating just ripping out all the heat/AC stuff. I ripped out the ac a long time ago and I'm in Texas so needing a heater isn't much of an issue since it won't be seeing any DD duty. I just can't decide if I want to take the heat out too. It still works really well.
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 9, 2008
#12
  • Feb 9, 2008
  • #12
PUNISHER RACING said:
there is a bolt that goes through the top of your pedal assembly that hold the dash down remove it, and drop the column a bit
Click to expand...

I know the one you are talking about. That must be the one I'm missing cuz I definitely have not removed it yet.
 

7-UP BILL

Founding Member
Jan 4, 2001
885
19
49
My other car is a Firetruck
Feb 10, 2008
#13
  • Feb 10, 2008
  • #13
Your defroster works off your heater core. Might want to rethink that.
 

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
850
9
39
Savoy TX
Feb 10, 2008
#14
  • Feb 10, 2008
  • #14
PUNISHER RACING said:
there is a bolt that goes through the top of your pedal assembly that hold the dash down remove it, and drop the column a bit
Click to expand...

+1. That one got me my first time too. It sounds like the one he's talking about.
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 10, 2008
#15
  • Feb 10, 2008
  • #15
PUNISHER RACING said:
there is a bolt that goes through the top of your pedal assembly that hold the dash down remove it, and drop the column a bit
Click to expand...

I found it Punisher. Thanks for the tip.
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 10, 2008
#16
  • Feb 10, 2008
  • #16
7-UP BILL said:
Your defroster works off your heater core. Might want to rethink that.
Click to expand...

I won't be driving it on Frosty winter days when a defroster is needed so that's not much of a concern.
 

4G-KDMP

10 Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
935
19
39
CA
Feb 10, 2008
#17
  • Feb 10, 2008
  • #17
Did you finally get it out and if you did what was holding on so that you couldn't get it loose?
 
D

Deleted member 87397

Feb 11, 2008
#18
  • Feb 11, 2008
  • #18
4G-KDMP said:
Did you finally get it out and if you did what was holding on so that you couldn't get it loose?
Click to expand...

1 bolt under neath the dash that holds the pedal assembly to a small meta bracket attached to the dash. Haven't taken it out yet, but that's definitely what's holding it down.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Electrical Dash wiring
  • RileyDymond
  • Jul 19, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
133
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 19, 2026
RileyDymond
T
Need help locating 67 dash horn wire
  • THS70
  • Nov 21, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
285
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Dec 5, 2025
THS70
T
Removing speedo cable from the VSS
  • 91AOD5.0LX
  • Mar 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 25, 2026
91AOD5.0LX
P
Electrical 2001 GT Overcharging
  • PseudoGT
  • Dec 3, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
305
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Dec 13, 2025
Noobz347
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
355
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?