Dead Short On 1991 Mustang 5.0 Conv.

John Carter

Feb 4, 2017
First thread and need help Please! My wife owns the aforementioned vehicle and just today it started to make noise (allegedly from right rear- but the roof was down so I would question that) She stops and then smells electrical burning and the car dies at the curb. I towed it home an hour later. The battery was very hot and fried...wouldn't take a charge....I guessed alternator problem and so I changed the alternator and battery. Immediately I tried to connect battery I get flashing at the terminals indicating a dead short....presumably. I guarantee the terminals were not switched.....I am assuming something is dead shorting on a non fused circuit but I have no clue where to start and was looking for some direction. This 91 has just 14K miles and has been driven infrequently over the years but more regularly recently now we are in Florida. Any assistance would be most appreciated......Oh...... and she had her head lights on. Thanks for any assistance.....John Carter

• Sponsors (?)

I would say start by checking the condition of the wires coming to and from the alt. Also check the wires at the solenoid, you may be able to follow the cooked wire smell, is the cover still on next to the battery hiding you solenoid?
How in the world did you come across a survivor like that?
Oh, and welcome to stangnet.