Debating swap to SLP exhaust from Flowmaster...any thoughts appreciated

Tweaked_99GT

Dec 1, 2008
Yeah, I know guys...it's yet another "Which exhaust sounds better?" question. :chair:

I just wanted to get some opinions from some fellow owners because, after all, what could possibly be a better source than someone who has the same car with the debated setup? So here's my short story:

When I first got exhaust put on the car, I went with Flowmaster 2-chambers with the stock pipes. It sounded pretty good, and got a noticeably deeper rumble once I installed the Ford Racing headers.

However, I wanted to get a bit more sound at WOT so I went back to the shop and got Flowmaster single-chamber mufflers put on. I didn't have too high of a hope that it would sound very different, but it actually sounds alot deeper and has a nice rumble at idle and when cruising around 2k rpms. But I'd still like to have something louder at higher rpm's and when WOT.

I was told that getting SLP Loudmouth mufflers would solve this problem. The only question I have is would they be obnoxiously loud and lose that nice low rumble tone down low? To me, louder is better...but only if it sounds good.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else made this change and, if so, how do you like it? I realize that everyone's taste in exhaust tone is different. I'm just looking for ideas/comments/suggestions, and all are appreciated.

Thanks! :SNSign::flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Do you still have the stock catted H pipe?

If not, what type of mid pipe are you running? That plays a big factor in this question.

SLP Loudmouth-1's are rediculously loud with a catless midpipe. Seriously...:jaw:

Loudmouth-2's are still loud, but they have MUCH more tone than the LM-1's which really are just noise, not much tone.

If you have a catted midpipe and want loud, the LM-1's will still work as the cat's help give it a little tone.

Youtube.com and Streetfire.net have alot of clips of setups like that.

But I'd still like to have something louder at higher rpm's and when WOT.

I was told that getting SLP Loudmouth mufflers would solve this problem. The only question I have is would they be obnoxiously loud and lose that nice low rumble tone down low?

I used to be in the same situation. I got my car bone stock, and always liked the sound of flows so a few months after I got it, I put the flowmaster catback on it; sounded good, not loud enough. Changed mid-pipes twice, over the next year or so and ended up with an o/r h and I was happy, for a while.

I got used to what I had, it wasnt exciting anymore and I was bored with the tone. Got my hands on an SLP catback with LM1's. WAYY TOO LOUD! I'm not even kidding, and I like loud. Way too loud, and sounded like complete ****. This was probably due to the o/r h, but I wasnt buying another midpipe.

So I took a chance and bought a brand new set of LMII's to swap in. My thoughts? It has a good tone, its louder than the flows but not too abnoxious (to me anyway). Only thing I DONT like is occassionally it has little pops when giving it some throttle, but I think an o/r x would smoothen that out.

Get the LMII's, I think you will be happy. Rumbling idle, mean sounding when cruising, easy to keep the noise down when you want, and plenty loud at WOT.

I had stock headers, catted prochamber, and weld in flows (I think 40's?) Sounded pretty good, just wasn't loud enough and I wanted something different.

Switched to SLP LM1 catback and it sounded a bit too poppy, but overall sounded good.

Added BBK T/L headers and it sounded perfect...

MAC with it's amazingly crap "protective coating" started to crap out on me and I switched to a catted SLP X. I definately like the sound, but I miss the prochamber sound with SLPs.

The SLPs with both midpipes did still rumble low and scream high, the ProChamber wasn't as loud but had more tone with them. The X sounds more NASCAR like at WoT and IMO still sounds great.

I don't like the sound of non-catted SLP Is though, I think it's a bit TOO much and toneless.

i have the loudmouth 1's with stock headers/ h-pipe and love them. flowmasters sound good but everyone has them, slp is very loud and a completely different tone than flowmaster. it has a very agressive idle/ low rpm rumble and is very loud at wot... i love the set up and i'm sure with ford racing headers it would only make it better, but i can only speak for cat-back only setup.

I have a 2 1/2 " O/R h-pipe with 2 1/4 " factory catback & weld in 40 series flows. It sounds like a typical stang from idle to 4000 rpms. From 4k to 6k it has a loud non raspy X-pipe sound ( high pitch ). I no it's old school but I get asked alot about what kind of exhaust I'm running. I'ts loud & clean & WOT!!:nice:

Wow, thanks for all the great replies everybody! :nice: I really appreciate all the input so far.

To answer one of the questions, I have a completely stock setup spare the mufflers. Right now the Stang is my primary transportation, so I have to make sure I do everything the "street legal" route. :D

From what everyone has said so far, maybe SLP Loudmouth II's are the way to go. Would I need to install a midpipe or would they sound alright on the stock setup? I'm working with a really cruddy budget right now, so I will probably have to settle for whatever I can get without going over the $500 - $600 range. :nonono:

Whichever route I wind up going, I'm hoping to get it done just after Christmas...before if money permits, but I'm doubting it.

Thanks to all again for the great advice.:SNSign:

im 16 and i HATE slp's! i have a mac o/r h and mac catback and thats the only combo ill run. most of my friends hate slp's too. except for my buddy with a bullet. he has an o/r x and lm2's and it sounds like garbage

where did you first hear a mac cat back? oh yeah, on my car;)

LM1's = garbage, usually for the 16-18 year old crowd

and im only 17, slp's FTL!!!:notnice: