Destroyed Third gear last night, help

DEFWISH

Feb 25, 2006
Wichita, Ks
This is the first thread i've ever posted because i always try searching, but no luck this time. :shrug: anyways i was horsing around a bit last night, went to shift from 2nd to 3rd at about 5k rpms and BANG!! no more third gear. i have powershifted a few times. never again.. crap is rattling around in there now. Question is, should I tear into it and just replace 3rd gear, rebuild the whole thing and replace 3rd, or replace the whole gearset? And where do i find 94-95 t5 parts?? 130k on car, tranny always felt brand new, better than my rebuilt one in my fox. so i think its been rebuilt but i dont know. this is my dd unfortunately :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

With all the shrapnel that's inside your existing tranny, there may be damage to other parts so I suggest you start looking for a replacement. This is a good time to think about upgrading to a stronger unit.

Effort? A T-5 takes about an hour to pull. Odds are you didn't break the gear itself. You more likely just incinerated the cluster. Pull the tranny as soon as possible. All those metal pieces floating around in there aren't good for the gears. Don't waste the time replacing all the gears unless you go to a G-Force setup. All those gears cost more than a new transmission. It's really not worth discussing until you have the transmission opened up, and you can see what's actually broken.

Kurt

I got one for my 94 from a 2001 v6 (I think the guy said 2001) for 275$ with about 30k on it.I did have to buy a speedo calibrator for another 75$.
I am happy with it.It shifts great.And since I have the speedo calibrator if I want to change rear gears,all it takes is the touch of a button to get the speedo reading correct.:D

Air tools don't make a whole lot of difference on a transmission job. Most of those bolts are just easier to do with wrenches anyway.

Kurt

I dont know what kind of cars you work on but they do when you have 125,000 mile (20 year old) driveshaft bolts and cross member bolts. Plus 10 year old h pipe header and catback bolts dont like to come out to easily even when heated. thats the fun I had on my freinds car over the weekend

I dont know what kind of cars you work on but they do when you have 125,000 mile (20 year old) driveshaft bolts and cross member bolts. Plus 10 year old h pipe header and catback bolts dont like to come out to easily even when heated. thats the fun I had on my freinds car over the weekend

I have air tools in my garage, but if you have the right hand tools and breaker bars, there isn't much difference. Have you seen the header to h-pipe bolt on a 4.6 stang? The one tucked up on the right hand side. You aren't getting an air wrench up there anyway. I couldn't find a single socket that would fit up in there, so I had to buy one of those outside socket driver kits, and use a Big ass ford wrench on it.

Kurt