Diablosport Predator?

DKVL

Oct 12, 2008
Is this worth buying? Or is it more cost effective to get the engine tuned professionally?

No modifcations on my mustang yet!

DiabloSport Predator Tuner at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

I am thinking about being more hands on with my mustang. What information do I need to know in order for me to be able to tune my car properly?

This is my first mustang and i want to make sure i care for it and do everything right.

Is it fairly easy to use or do I need more knowledge than the average joe in order to use this and benefit from it?

• Sponsors (?)

They are a good modification, but you are better off getting some stuff done first aside from a tuner.

When you order it, you specify what other stuff you have done so they can cater to the other mods you have and tie them in.

You won't get the full benefit if you purchase one now.

However, if you decide to switch the rear end gears out, I would suggest buying on so you can use it to re-calibrate your speedometer (99-04 only, 96-98 doesn't apply) instead of spending $100 on the other method to do so.

You will get the most out of a dyno tune, but the difference is usually minimal on a bolt on only car.

Is this worth buying? Or is it more cost effective to get the engine tuned professionally?

Worth buying? Yes...but you won't get much from it on a completely stock motor. Professional tuning on a completely stock motor is useless.

I am thinking about being more hands on with my mustang. What information do I need to know in order for me to be able to tune my car properly?
While you can do several bolt ons yourself, hands on tuning is limited. You can tweak the timing, but not much, you can trim the fuel somewhat. Understand that these motors are completely computer controlled...it's complicated. If you really want to learn and do it yourself, Diablo is not the way to go. Look into SCT and their Pro Racer Package. (Unless something has changed recently, Diablo doesn't sell a full tilt software program like this for end users, only to professional shops.) It's not cheap. And you'd have to have, at a minimum, a wideband A/F ratio gauge and be prepared to do plenty of datalogging on a laptop.

This is my first mustang and i want to make sure i care for it and do everything right.
Is it fairly easy to use or do I need more knowledge than the average joe in order to use this and benefit from it?
If you really want to do it right, leave the tuning to the pros.

The Diablo (or the SCT tuners) are easy to use. But in order to get a true professional tune, you'd need to be on a dyno and the tuner would be using Diablo's CMR software or SCT's Pro Racer software and YOU would have to have the appropriate tuner (either a Diablo product or SCT product - and typically tuners favor (and often will only use) one of these products. So you'd be best to check with the local shops near you to see what they use. And be sure they do your year Mustang.

Thank you and thank you!

Thank you to everyone who has been patient with me and my sometime obvious questions. Hopefully, I am not annoying too many people at this point.

Question about improving handling.

1. Do i really need struts for better handling ? I dont plan on taking my car to the tracks or race it. I just enjoy back road driving with lots of twists and turns.

2. In reference to the question above. Or will getting great shocks be sufficient?

RE: Suspension - Well you need both. You have shocks in the rear and struts in the front. Tokico, Bilstein, etc. And springs - Eibach, Steeda, and H&R are just a few of the top spring manfacturers. A combo with upgraded springs, struts and shocks would greatly improve the handling. Also, add full length subframe connectors. The Mustang is a unibody. There is a rear subframe and a front subframe - connected by the floorpan. Tying the front and rear subframes together makes a huge difference.
For top notch suspension, ck out Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension