Diagnosing warped flywheel?

96cobraboy

Mar 27, 2007
I have a 96 cobra

Friday Night I was by myself on a downhill onramp so I desided to punch it. I shifted at redline into 2nd gear and let off it. I heard a boom and my clutch went to the floor and the engine started shaking badly.

Turns out I I broke my clutch completely in 2 pieces. I have never seen this failure before. so I replaced the cluch sunday. I still have that vibration, I thought it was because the clutch was seperated and missing pieces that was why it was vibrating.

Facts about the vibration:

1. it does it above 3500 RPM badly while driving.
2. Motor shakes a little more than usual at idleing.
3. When car is in neutral it does shake some but as not as bad when a load is on it.

does this sound like the flywheel got warped during the failure? I have to take the trans back out and do this this weekend so I want to make sure I fix this this time.

Transmission damaged? It doesnt make any noises, The imput shaft was nice and tight, still does it in neutral just not as bad.

Driveshaft? Im not sure how the driveshaft could have been the culprit here it was fine before.

Help a fellow mustang guy out soI can fix this asap.

• Sponsors (?)

Check the trans mount. The rubber wears out fast, and your car being older might be shot already. A large shock like that clutch going boom might also break the rubber.

Odds are the flywheel is shot, take it off and over to a shop that can do a runout test, replace if necessary.

I'm sorry to reply to your post with a question, but was your clutch slipping prior to this failure? Were there any warning signs of this?

No Clutch was GREAT. felt good gripped good. just basically exploded on its own.

I can take a picture of the damage and post it.

The trans mount looked good because I already had the tranny out to put the clutch in

the fly wheel physically looked good but again Ive seen on brake rotors that looked good be way warped enough to shake the whole car.

Same thing happened to me when I grenaded my prior King Cobra clutch. Mine sounded like glass shattering inside the bellhousing!

I would think a warped flywheel would be most noticable on clutch engagement taking off. You would get massive chatter during the engagement. Even after replacing my clutch and resurfacing my flywheel, my car still chatters somewhat...it's quite frustrating!