Did HACKS install my gears??

Well I got my car back from getting 4.10's yesterday. I must say I am really liking 'em. Just awesome when you punch it while cruising. But when I let off the gas in fifth I hear a little whine. I bought the gears through mustang tuning over a month ago, and since I didnt get them through the shop there is no warranty from the installer!!! :bang: And this is the installer everyone recomended. I guess I should have asked before buying the gears and install kit. It can only be heard with the windows up and stereo off. I'll never hear it with the tunes going. I just dont want my rear end to blow up or anything. Do I need to dig out an old aluminum baseball bat n pay them a visit?? :D

Ive have gear swaps done on 4 different vehicles so far, I guess I'll just buy the tools n like everything else do it myself. Tho the first try will be on a buddies... :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

Havent noticed vibes. Tho only been up to 80 for a short stint. I'm gonna try n do some "spirited driving" Saturday n see what its like. So far I just did a little driving around town and to work which gets me some freeway time. Ive had 4.10's n 4.56's installed in trucks with no whine.

Slight whining is okay, especially from non-ford brand gears.. As long as theres no clacking/rattling or odd vibrations, its probably fine. The whining will probably fade away over time too as it wears in a groove.

allow some break in time for the gears.....I know some people will say you don't need to break them in, but I believe it's wise to stay off the gas for awhile until they have been broken in. The whine may fade away over time as they break in. From what I've heard everyone says to get the FRPP gears instead of motive or any other brand.

mrvax said:
I'd expect to hear a bit of whine from 4.10's, more from 4.30's etc. No vibration? It's probably a good install. An aluminum driveshaft tends to cut down on some drive train noise and vibes. Consider it.

I agree.:nice: Or have your drive shaft balanced by a machine shop.

Mine dont really whine (3.73s), but there is alot of friction going on so you will hear something if you listen close enough. Heck I could even hear my stock rear end (and other stangs)...maybe im hearing the tranny :shrug: Its SOO light that you wouldnt even notice it if you werent listening for it. But a SMALL whine WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING. :D

trailblazr81 said:
I bought a Motive bearing kit with the gears "This Motive bearing kit contains everything you need to rebuild your Ford 8.8" rear end" so they should have swapped everything new. They even charged me for a couple extra seals.

Though I know people that have motive gears and are happy with them, the Mustang shop I go to refuses to install Motive gears even customer supplied ones. They only install FRPP due to bad past experiences with Motive.

trailblazr81 said:
I bought a Motive bearing kit with the gears "This Motive bearing kit contains everything you need to rebuild your Ford 8.8" rear end" so they should have swapped everything new. They even charged me for a couple extra seals.

i have the EXACT same kit and motive gears from mustangtuning. i barely got my 00 back last week and i also notice a whine when i have my tunes off... :shrug:

poor backlash setting and/or poor pinion depth setting 99percent of the time is what causes gear whine also All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles you must let the differential cool for 30-40 minutes before proceeding and take it easy for the first 500 miles and Change the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.