Did I get a good deal on a reman 4100 carb????

mustangprodude

Jun 7, 2004
I was bored at the office the other day so I decided to research out some parts I need to get my old 65 fastback on the road this spring. After much studying on which carb would work best for me and my slim budget I decided on a trusty old 4100. My first stop was Pony Carbs of course, but wow that's an expensive route for me right now. So just for the heck of it I searched some quickie online parts stores since their databases go back way beyond 65. Low and behold, right there on partsamerica.com listed under 66 Mustang was reman Autolite 4100 1.08 carbs!!!! But what really freaked me out was the price. There were 2 listed, one from Champion and the other from Holley. The Holley reman was $142 plus a $29 core fee. It worked out to being $172 with free shipping. So I clicked order quickly! Autozone and NAPA also listed the carb, but they were well over $300 plus core fee. Well it arrived today, and man is it nice! I have no idea how it runs, but it came with tuning instructions and even a gasket. I've attached a pic of it, looks pretty awesome! My only beef is that it's a long snout. So I'm wondering if it's an older casting. Just thought I'd share this. What do you guys make of it? The cast number is 6Z E. What exactly does that mean?

reman_4100.jpg

Attachments

• reman_4100.jpg
    reman_4100.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks!! I hope it runs as god as it looks. But hopefully Holley knows how to reman them. Holley's part number for this is 645019. About the snout..... it might not be a long snout. i'm trying to research it out. No luck yet.

actually i think there were 3 different length "snouts" short, medium and long. i'd say yours is thye medium one. i know the earlier 4100's had really long accellerator pump bosses, even longer than yours, especially the really oddball 1.16 (?) units that were a 1 or 2 year only item on some late 50's MEL cars.

actually i think there were 3 different length "snouts" short, medium and long. i'd say yours is thye medium one. i know the earlier 4100's had really long accellerator pump bosses, even longer than yours, especially the really oddball 1.16 (?) units that were a 1 or 2 year only item on some late 50's MEL cars.

Medium is always good. This thing looks really good sitting up on the new Performer RPM intake. Should I use the spacer? And how have you guys hooked up the choke heater tube with tri-y headers?

i've never used the choke heater tube on any of my cars, i usually either don't use the choke at all or i swap over to an electric choke from a later model 2v carb. the electric choke swap is a good one and easy to do, i usually add the add the AC idle compensator solenoid then as well, if the car has ac. if you want to use the heated choke you can get a stick of brake line at the parts store and just make a loop in it so it will sit down in between a couple of header tubes. if you have room for the spacer i'd go ahead and use it since that's where your PCV hooks into, if you don't have room you'll have to figure out another way to run your PCV.

quick question, did they plate the carb body or is it just polished from the cleaning process? it looks like the body has been plated but it's not so easy to tell from the pic.

i've never used the choke heater tube on any of my cars, i usually either don't use the choke at all or i swap over to an electric choke from a later model 2v carb. the electric choke swap is a good one and easy to do, i usually add the add the AC idle compensator solenoid then as well, if the car has ac. if you want to use the heated choke you can get a stick of brake line at the parts store and just make a loop in it so it will sit down in between a couple of header tubes. if you have room for the spacer i'd go ahead and use it since that's where your PCV hooks into, if you don't have room you'll have to figure out another way to run your PCV.

quick question, did they plate the carb body or is it just polished from the cleaning process? it looks like the body has been plated but it's not so easy to tell from the pic.

I like your electric choke conversion. Thanks for the suggestion. I happen to have an entire 74 Maverick 302 with a 2100 or 2150 which I think has the electric choke. I'll check that out this weekend. The finish?? I think it's just polished from the cleaning process. Hard to tell though. For $172 I didn't expect such a nice looking piece! Now if it runs as good as it looks.

Update please

Mustangprodude, did you ever get that 4100 installed? How is it working? I'm thinking of going the same route.

Is it an actual 1.08 carb? What part number is cast into it - I remember you mentioning a 6Z E. Are there any other identifiers?

Thanks,

Andrew

I was looking for the same carb. I wanted the 1.08 venturi version and thought that was what I was getting but it ended up being the more common 1.12 version. I don't know if it's the luck of the draw on those or not. I returned that one and ordered another and that was 1.12 as well. I have a near stock 302 and didn't want a big carb

the 1.12 carb is only a 600 cfm carb, i don't know what you mean by near stock but if you've added headers and a decent size exhaust system (2 1/4 or bigger) then the 1.12 carb would be a nice addition along with a good aluminum intake

Be carefull putting that on the RPM manifold. The 4100's tend to have vacuum leaks on that manifold, ask me how I know.... Make sure to use a solid aluminum or other material 4-hole spacer, not the original style with the vacuum channels on the underside (bigger vacuum leaks).

the 1.12 carb is only a 600 cfm carb, i don't know what you mean by near stock but if you've added headers and a decent size exhaust system (2 1/4 or bigger) then the 1.12 carb would be a nice addition along with a good aluminum intake

The 1.08 is all the carb I wanted...just a personal choice obviously. The problem I had with partsamerica.com was I EXPECTED to get the 1.08....fair or unfair that's what I expected. 1.12 is certainly good for alot of applications. Point taken.

66Moneypit -
You mentioned that you went through two 4100's from partsamerica.com - how was their return policy? Did you wind up having to pay the shipping for the returns?

The 1.08 is all the carb I wanted...just a personal choice obviously. The problem I had with partsamerica.com was I EXPECTED to get the 1.08....fair or unfair that's what I expected. 1.12 is certainly good for alot of applications. Point taken.

The description on that item list the part numbers available. All of those that I could decode are 1.12" type. You may be able to request a 1.08" type, but I doubt it. They are nicely refurbished.