• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Difference between simple broken ujoint or worse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joshjwc9
  • Start date Start date Jun 10, 2009

joshjwc9

Active Member
Jun 12, 2006
1,095
17
39
Palm Harbor, FL
Jun 10, 2009
#1
  • Jun 10, 2009
  • #1
Okay, so on my way home with some spirited driving the car felt fine but I believe I ran over a workboot of some car that rolled off the car in front of me. I pull off thinking that my bumper may be damaged but no issues. I go 1st through 3rd kind of hard and once it goes into forth the car feels as though I downshifted to 2nd from 4th going 80mph. I pull over again and don't see anything visible. Go to turn around and I hear some clicking (like I have a locker in the back) and slowly accelerate, I shift into 2nd and the driveshaft hits the ground. I inspect the car and the driveshaft seems to have broken the u joint attaching it to the diff. Driveshaft looks okay from what I could see/touch and there was no fluid leaking at the trans or diff from what I could see (I think, but not totally sure.

Call AAA and tow it to my mechanic. Only real evidence of damage was small metal fragments about half inch in length sitting in some HD grease or gear lube, are these internals or part of the u joint? BTW I have a FRPP Al Driveshaft.

Any help appreciated, it is just driving me crazy, and personally, I am happy this happened today and not tomorrow on my hour trip to go take the LEO exam. I'll just take my dad's truck. Maybe the car was telling me something and this repair bill isn't too expensive.
 

1low03gt

20+ Year Stangneter
May 24, 2004
708
11
38
Cold Hell,Ontario,Canada!!
Jun 10, 2009
#2
  • Jun 10, 2009
  • #2
Sounds like the u joint for sure.The needle bearings usually get real dried up from the grease overtime with age.
Those metal fragments are probably the needle bearings.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,327
405
164
Joplin, Missouri
Jun 11, 2009
#3
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #3
If you drug the d/s very far from the u joint breaking you may want to think about having it re ballanced (odds are that you shaved off some material).
 

joshjwc9

Active Member
Jun 12, 2006
1,095
17
39
Palm Harbor, FL
Jun 11, 2009
#4
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #4
I didn't perhaps a couple feet, I heard the DS hit the ground when I started braking for the final time, it doesn't look like it has but a couple scratches on it. Hopefully my mechanic will have this thing diagnosed sometime real soon, because I am going insane worrying about it.
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,327
405
164
Joplin, Missouri
Jun 11, 2009
#5
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #5
U joints take about an hour to change..... Not sure what else to diagnose.... Unless your rear end is starting to lock up....
 

joshjwc9

Active Member
Jun 12, 2006
1,095
17
39
Palm Harbor, FL
Jun 11, 2009
#6
  • Jun 11, 2009
  • #6
Just the u joint. He had to clean up the end of the driveshaft but other than that I will be picking it up after I get back tonight!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Drivetrain Rear end clunk
  • seanmahoney
  • Oct 13, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
473
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 13, 2025
nickyb
Drive Shaft/Rear Diff Issue on 2014 GT
  • DudeStang
  • Jun 16, 2025
  • 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech
Replies
11
Views
2K
2010 - 2014 Specific Tech Jan 21, 2026
gkomo
F
Difference between 83-86 EFI and 87-97 gas tanks?
  • ForeverDrivin
  • Mar 30, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
409
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 30, 2026
ForeverDrivin
F
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
359
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Tuners come on inside
  • squeak93
  • Feb 13, 2026
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
1
Views
322
SVT Tech Forum Feb 20, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?