difference between tracklok and posi?

PeteyAce

Member
Jul 2, 2004
346
0
17
i have my 373 waiting for me to instal them along with new bearings, and axles, but ive read an articles were they rebuilt, or install a tru tracklok or a posi? whats the differnce between them?
 
Well Traclok is what ford calls their limited slip differential...
posi= positive traction, i think its just another name for a limited slip, used by another company. Its called Posi-trac or something

Someone correct me if i am wrong, which i think i am....
 
Traction Loc (Tracloc) - Ford
Positraction (Posi) - General Motors (Chevy, Pontiac. . .)
Sure Grip - Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth)

They all pretty much function the same, just different auto manufacturers refered to the generic "Limited Slip Differential" by different brand names.

Hope that helped.
 
z9_87 said:
GM used to have a posi that used clutches or something and you could hear it click when you turned at higher speeds.
I believe that was the "Detroit Locker", which is a ratcheting type limited slip differential. My buddy had one in a Wrangler that he regularly went mudding with. Once I was riding in it and he took a u-turn and the thing was super noisy "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK. . ."

I've also seen Chevy trucks from the early 90's up with diffs that lock when the wheels speed varys too much from either side of the axle.
 
Oh yeah, and clutches are the regular "posi, tractionloc, sure grip" method.

The only other friction style limited slip I can thing of is the Auburn cone differential. Instead of using a clutch pack, the axles have sprung cones attached to them that push into the center section to lock it. It locks really good, but there is no way to rebuild it when it wears out, you just replace it.
 
The ones that click are a ratchet style differential and the clicking that you hear is the ratchet mechanism. Kinda like when you are using a ratcheting socket set. I believe that you could get lockers in some of the old Stangs with Drag Pak set ups and such. I also believe that Shelby's came with them as well.