difference in 95 and 98 heads and also 2000 heads

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
is there any performance differences in these 3 years. i read that the reason that 94/5 3.8's blew the head gasket often was because of the head design.(head expanding at a faster rate than the block when hot). is that true. it said it was fixed in 96. the reason i ask is because i have a set and i wanna fully port them out. i have a 95 but i pulled a motor out of a 98 to replace. but here is the tricky part. the valve covers on the motor i pulled had a certified ford sticker that says ford quality renewal or something like that. the other valve cover says it is a year 2000 engine. i was also told that 2000 heads would not bolt up to a single port intake, is that true. if it is true is it possible that this motor was built by ford in 2000 but used single port heads. i am using those heads now. either 98 or a 2000. if i port out the 95 heads and use them on the current engine would i have head gasket problems. if this is confusing i apoligize.

• Sponsors (?)

The problems with 95's was the head gaskets, not the heads themselves.

98 heads had slightly different springs, valves, and combustion chamber- nothing to particularly cause any concerns or advantage per se.

I'm sure that engine is just a remanufactured engine. If it is a 2000 model engine, it has totally different heads and intake.

well the engine is from the ford factory so if it was rebuilt it was from them. it aslo has the balancer shaft that the 94-98's do not have. that came back in 99. well i have an extra set of 98 or 2000 heads along with the 95 heads. which one has a smaller combustion chamber.