Difficult Starting and Idle...Spark Plug Related???

MadHandle8169

Founding Member
May 5, 2002
Brick, NJ
I'm just throwing out a hypothesis and you guys can let me know if you disagree or agree. This summer I changed my Spark Plugs to Autolite 24s or 23s for Nitrous. I think it was 23s which is a colder plug than stock. I also retarded the timing but I put that back to 14* because I'm not using the nitrous in the winter. Now that it is getting colder my car is starting very sluggishly if at all. The idle is also a little weird. The car seems like it is running too rich. The N/A performance is also down than with the old plugs which was expected some what. If I changed to Autolite 25s would this cure my idle problem and starting you think? Also what gap should the plugs be at for N/A. I might run two sets of plugs the 25s in the winter without nitrous then the 23s in the spring and summer with the nitrous. Any thoughts?

The heat range difference (if 2 steps, like 25 to 23) and the closed gap could create some funky issues - not that this is the issue.

If it does not take ya long to swap plugs, go for it.

Any codes hiding in there?

Good luck.

Don't have a code scanner and I need a new harmonic balancer so I don't want to drive it to advanced auto until I get that done. I'm hoping the balancer will cure all the problems but if it doesn't I'm just speculating different things to try that are the cheapest first. I reset the computer by unplugging the battery the other day and it does idle better. Hopefully it's just a minor problem.

All you need to retrieve codes is a paperclip. But I see your point - hold off on even letting the car idle till you swap your balancer.

FWIW, if you set timing recently (with a spun balancer) that can cause issues all by itself).

Good luck.