Disassembling the distributor?

MadMatt5oh

Jan 10, 2003
St Paul, MN
Im onto the next chapter of throwing parts at my 5.0. Im going to try replacing the ignition coil pickup located inside the distributor. I removed it once and looked but saw that I have to disassemble the shaft by pushing out those pins?

I guess my questions are what tools do I need to buy to remove those pins?

Can they be reused afterwards?

AND whats the garauntee that these pins wont come out and destroy my motor?

Any tips guys? I could really use a hand on this. This car has been hell!

• Sponsors (?)

i gather that the pick up is a pain to do. remove the pins and then press the pick up off, as i recall. id probably get a new dizzy - i have the same fears you do.

good luck and bump.

Ok, its done by using a center punch to remove the pins and its a good idea to "dimple" them on the way back in so they dont come back out! :nice: I'll be doing this tomorrow along with injector replacement. I find it amazing that no one knows how to do this here, some one had to have replaced a coil pickup!

MadMatt5oh said:
Ok, its done by using a center punch to remove the pins and its a good idea to "dimple" them on the way back in so they dont come back out! :nice: I'll be doing this tomorrow along with injector replacement. I find it amazing that no one knows how to do this here, some one had to have replaced a coil pickup!
i dont think it is so much that no one has done it - if you search you will find info on it, but that a lot of folks choose to get a new dizzy rather than swap a PITA part - other parts in the dizzy after many years and miles are probably not spring chickens.

good luck with it - please let us know how it goes for you. :)

Done it in a beer drinking BSing 2 hours with simple tools. Basically this distrubutor is brand new now. I cleaned the shaft and sleeve and oiled it with KY jelly :D - it also made putting the gear and holders much easier. I tapped the top of the dist to remove the gear and holder from the shaft. Putting it back I used a large socket over the gear and was extremely carefull to pound it on straight so it would line up with the holes. I tapped the dowls back in, reassenbled and rematched the marks on the engine. It started right up BUT didnt fix my driveability issues