Distributor Options

u0061914

Aug 20, 2009
Prior Lake, MN
]I dropped in my engine and transmission into my 67 this weekend, so now I'm starting to collect some of the other parts I need. One of the things that I'm missing is a distributor. The engine I dropped in is an 1982 302. I have no idea on the history of the engine, but it was in the car so I was able to hear it run and drive it ( plus it was really cheap). I'm only going to run this engine for one year, then build the engine I really want. One of the things missing is a distributor. I had a 289/302 distributor, but for some odd reason, it does not seem to fit. I was looking at some aftermarket options and it 79-83 302s take a different part number than the Pre 79 302 and 289 engines? Can someone confirm that for me or educate me on the differences? Maybe I'm off base here?

Options:

- Distributor, duraspark and wiring from a salvage yard
- HEI style distributor from ebay
- Complete Aftermarket dist, etc ( MSD, Pertronix, etc) = $$$

Any thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with the Ebay HEI units such as or similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBF-SMALL-BLOCK-FORD-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-50K-289-302-5-0_W0QQitemZ390155080022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad70e1156

Since this is temporary, I don't want to spend a ton of cash.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

There are a bazillion threads already on here in regards to aftermarket ignition.
The general consensus, is that a duraspark distributor, with the MSD 6A or 6AL is about as much as you need for a street car. For the money, it's hard to beat. If you ask one hundred stang net members about the HEI GM style distributor, maybe 10% will say something positive. I'm not one of those ten percent. Even if you are only going to run the engine for a year, while you get your build together, you can still re-use quality ignition pieces.
And, for that matter, if you aren't looking a a huge performance build, the stock Ford ignition module is a good piece. You should be able to get everything you need at the bone yard, (I.E., dist. module, connectors, and misc wiring material) out the door for under 50 bucks at the local you pull it. I have one Cougar with the stock distributor and a pertronix. I have one Cougar with the complete MSD set up. Distributor, wires, coil, 6AL. I have two Cougars with the Ford stuff. For the money, the Ford stuff is the way to go. You can get a MSD box down the road if you need it. The MSD stuff is good, but you don't need it all for a street car.
So my vote is hit the bone yard, and snag a complete duraspark ignition. Distributor, connections, box and wiring. You can re-evaluate after you get the car running as to whether or not you need to get the MSD stuff.

I don't know what your experience with putting distributors is, but often the oil pump driveshaft needs be aligned with the distributor shaft. The result of an unaligned pump driveshaft will be the distributor will refuse to seat past the seal (about a 1/3 of an inch)The easiest way to move the pump driveshaft is with an oil pump priming tool.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but if you slowly turn the shaft 10 or so degrees, and retry dropping the distributor, eventually, the distributor will just drop in. Do not try and cheap out with a 5/16 socket and long extension, the socket will get trapped and you'll be tearing your hair out. Though, superglue will probably fix the issue. Ask me how I know...

Anyway, +1 for the Duraspark, especially with the MSD Box.

I have a Pertronix Billet distributor and it works great. I also know alot of people that run the Ford Duraspark setup and it works well. I actually almost went that route. Depending on what your wanting to do, you can just get the Pertronix Ignitor and run your factory distributor.

My 331 has a Duraspark setup, completely stock, only thing MSD is the coil. My 89 Ranger has a points distributor fitted with a Crane XR-1 module, fired by a Mallory Promaster coil. Both work flawlessly, you really can't tell the difference between the two, although the Ranger is easier to start when cold, but that's the engine build, not the ignition.

Thanks Guys,

I think I'll go with a Duraspark for now. Not sure what's up with the distributor I have. I grabbed it out of one of my many boxes of spare parts in the shed. It actually will not fit in the dist. hole in the block. It's not the oil pump drive hanging up. Actually seems to be hanging up on the flange that is about half way between the seal and bottom. Almost seems as if it is a few thousands too big at that point. Strange.
Not new to installing distributors.

cool, I understand, just wanted to put that out there. Common problem I have run into over and over.

I started with Pertronix 1, went to Duraspark, then to Duraspark w/ msd, things improved in that order.

Thanks Guys,

I think I'll go with a Duraspark for now. Not sure what's up with the distributor I have. I grabbed it out of one of my many boxes of spare parts in the shed. It actually will not fit in the dist. hole in the block. It's not the oil pump drive hanging up. Actually seems to be hanging up on the flange that is about half way between the seal and bottom. Almost seems as if it is a few thousands too big at that point. Strange.
Not new to installing distributors.

Might be a Cleveland or Windsor distributor. Most all look alike, except for the FE's.

Might be a Cleveland or Windsor distributor. Most all look alike, except for the FE's.

I think that is probably the case. I measured the flange on this distributor and also the flange on another old stripped down dist. and this one is just a hair bigger.

I'm pursuing the duraspark route anyway, so I should be in good shape.

I very much appreciate all the help.