Distributor Question For 93 Gt

MVG•GT93

Active User
Mar 17, 2014
If I have a 94 cobra motor in my 93 gt and I wanna use the same distributor, can I cut the plug off the 94's harness and sotter the wires to the distributor plug wires from the 93? If each wire has the same funtion?

• Sponsors (?)

If I have a 94 cobra motor in my 93 gt and I wanna use the same distributor, can I cut the plug off the 94's harness and sotter the wires to the distributor plug wires from the 93? If each wire has the same funtion?
It won't work that way. The wiring is completely different at the distributor.
The 94-95 uses a remote mounted TFI module, which is an improvement over the 86-93 distributor. There are kits on eBay to use the remote mounted TFI with a 86-93 5.0 main wiring harness.

EDIT: I couldn't find the kit on eBay, but here are some other sources. Contact them first to make sure that the kits are compatible with the 94-95 distributor.
McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module
Needs!

:: FatFoxx ::

diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2Birds
TFI_5.0_comparison.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks this was extreme helpful. Is that a good way to go then or should I just wait and get a new fox distributor?
It won't work that way. The wiring is completely different at the distributor.
The 94-95 uses a remote mounted TFI module, which is an improvement over the 86-93 distributor. There are kits on eBay to use the remote mounted TFI with a 86-93 5.0 main wiring harness.

EDIT: I couldn't find the kit on eBay, but here are some other sources. Contact them first to make sure that the kits are compatible with the 94-95 distributor.
McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module
Needs!

:: FatFoxx ::

diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2Birds
TFI_5.0_comparison.gif

Imho unless you are trying to clean the engine bay I would just go with a Fox setup for ease of install and troubleshooting later. A used working distributor can be had for around 50 dollars and in my experience are more reliable than parts store replacements.