Distributor TFI Ignition Question - Stalling

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Hey guys, its been so long since I have posted, excited for another season, and just want to see if anyone has an good reading or insight about upgrading distributor tfi, etc. I had some issues this year after putting in a new 347 build with original distributor, and I am pretty sure possible faulty tfi module, cause I was stalling when the car warmed up... I have been looking at some msd kits, and wondering about upgrading to:

MSD-6AL
with MSD Distributor, wires, coil, etc. kit.

Does the 6AL replace the tfi module, or not so much, I just really don't know much about this so not sure, what or why I would be buying these parts.. should I just replace the tfi module, and retain my original distributor and parts? Or do you think this kit is a worthwhile upgrade for my 347 trick flow build? Any information on these parts and the difference from stock to this setup and how it works differently would be great.. Including the distributor part 8456? Does it work the same as the original distributor, in advancing timing, etc. Thanks...

Oh one other question... sry... but I lost the distributor hold down, when I rebuilt and am just using a screw/washer, and think my timing is slipping, or its just a bad distributor, wondering if anyone knows online a good place to get one online. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

My buddies car has a 331 and has been 9.20's w/ the stock distributor. I've seen more msd distributors fail than I can remember. Replace your ignition module and be done w/it. Hit up a local junk yard to pick up that hold down!

Would it restart after it stalled? Did you check for missing spark? If it was just a stall and could be started immediately afterwards, it's probably not the TFI.

An ignition box does not replace the TFI module.

Well it would start back up... and I struggled to get it back up the street to the house.. Then after it cooled down, you could start it up again and it would run like normal.. would be confident again to take it for a drive, but then after it warmed back up.. seemed to have the same issue, started to hesitate bad, then would stall out,, then again.. would struggle to get it home.. I ordered a new tfi from late model restoration... and a new distributor clamp down and bolt set, so will go from there.. will have to wait till it comes and we'll see if it fixes the issues! Will keep my fingers crossed!