Do I need a battery cut-off switch?

donsbad68

Immensely Educated
Jan 4, 2003
Oklahoma
Hi guys, I was wanting to know if I needed a battery cut-off switch now because I relocated my battery to the trunk? I just want to be rule complaint. But my car is not overly fast by any means. Its probably a high 12 sec car. Thanks for your input!

Dustin :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not really sure, I think it depends on what class you plan on racing in. Best idea would be to order a rule book and take a look.

EDIT: I think in some cases rules vary by the track too.

Even on test and tune nights, NHRA certified tracks are required to tech to NHRA rules. Not all of them do it of course.

But, if you race at a track that techs to NHRA rules, you must have a cutoff switch with a relocated battery.

86Cobra said:
Even on test and tune nights, NHRA certified tracks are required to tech to NHRA rules. Not all of them do it of course.

But, if you race at a track that techs to NHRA rules, you must have a cutoff switch with a relocated battery.

YUP!

Rules for relocated battery from stock location.:

1) battery cut off switch that shuts the whole car down.
2) 3/8 minimum hold down no jbolts
3) firewall between driver and battery. Back seat is not a firewall. Approved poly boxes, steel or aluminum
4) Box should be vented outside the car.

These rules apply to all battery types, sealed, gel cells, etc.

I've also heard that the switch must be cleary visible from the outside, like on a taillight, behind the tag, or on the bumper (not under a bumper, etc.) and the "on" and "off' positions must be clearly marked.
Other than that, hllon4whls covered everything I've ever heard of.