Do you recommend the 2012 Boss 302 for a daily driven car?

Do you recommend the 2012 Mustang Boss 302 for a Daily Driven Car?

• Total voters

5LV8

May 2, 2011
I am considering buying either a 2012 Mustang GT or 2012 Mustang Boss 302. I am not sure where I will be living in the next year, but I am keeping my figures crossed there will be a track near by. However, I only plan to own one car and the mustang will be my daily driver. Do you recommend the 2012 Mustang Boss 302 for a daily driven car?

• Sponsors (?)

Depends. Are you the type of guy that likes to have the nicest toy on the block? Is it worth the extra cabbage to you? Do you plan on taking advantage of the additional power, handling prowess, ect that the Boss offers over the standard GT? Will you be moving to an area with competent dealerships nearby that will be able to service or repair such a vehicle in the event something does need to be done? Do you plan on modifying it and if so are you not bothered with the thought depreciating its value by turning it into a daily driver? Are you going to be able to hold your marbles when you see it with a door ding or worse yet, vandalized in the local Wal-Mart parking lot?

If the answer is Yes to all of these, then I say go for it and get the Boss. If one or more of these statements doesn't sit well with you, I might consider the GT instead.

Thank you for your help,

Are you the type of guy that likes to have the nicest toy on the block?
Not necessarily the nicest, but I like to get all of performance upgrades if possible and I think the Boss 302 adds a good package for the price.

Is it worth the extra cabbage to you? Yes

Do you plan on taking advantage of the additional power, handling prowess, ect that the Boss offers over the standard GT? Yes, I want to take a driving class specifically for sports/muscle cars.

Will you be moving to an area with competent dealerships nearby that will be able to service or repair such a vehicle in the event something does need to be done? I am still not sure where my new job will take me yet.

Do you plan on modifying it and if so are you not bothered with the thought depreciating its value by turning it into a daily driver? No, I want to buy a nice car for driving. I would buy a car in need of repair if I planned to modify.

Are you going to be able to hold your marbles when you see it with a door ding or worse yet, vandalized in the local Wal-Mart parking lot? No, however, I would lose my marbles if any new car I get is damaged in a parking lot. It really irritates me when it happens. It is one of the few advantages of my current car which a couple of dings will not longer effects its value.

There really isn't anything about the car that makes it impractical as a daily driver. It still has a stereo, AC, and a streetable suspension. If it had a cage or 5 point harnesses or had a spoiler that hit every driveway apron it would be different. If you want to spend the extra money to get one, then go for it. The internal engine modifications are really the only things that you can't easily get aftermarket on a GT. You can make a GT handle better than the Boss for under $2k. Koni Yellows are better than the Boss shocks and Steeda sport springs with adjustable sway bars are at least as good. If you can, test drive them both and make your decision then.

You can make a GT handle better than the Boss for under $2k. Koni Yellows are better than the Boss shocks and Steeda sport springs with adjustable sway bars are at least as good.

I doubt it. Unless you're a suspension engineer, a mish-mash of aftermarket parts won't handle any better than a complete, sorted package that's found on the BOSS 302.

I'd say the BOSS 302 has every part factored in to the way the car handles, especially the weight at the front/rear of the car. You can't calculate that crap in your garage.

Actually, you can calculate that crap in your garage lol I'll work out the problem on paper if I can find some weights online and then post it. It's really not hard to do. Engineering is so based on models and imperfections that if you know what you're doing, it isn't hard to find out some good data to get rebound rates, etc. to get the handling you want. Now, I'm not knocking the Boss suspension, Ford recruits engineers here and they are GOOD, but I'm saying that if you know what you're doing, a guy in his garage could also spec out a good suspension himself.

The adjustable shocks in the Boss 302 are a step down from Tokico D-Specs which are about as entry level as adjustables get. They are the previous generation Tokicos. A set of Koni yellows would be an improvement when paired with Steeda sport springs and Strano adjustable sway bars. As good as the Boss is, the suspension components are still a cost compromise.

if you have the means to enjoy a fine automobile like the Boss 302 then i say go for it, I saw one at a car show recently and have read a few articles on it, sounds like a step up from the GT in every way (not just a few extra hp) I dont think youll be dissapointed lol

I just found out Ford places the upgrade to the Torsen limited-slip differential in the interior seat section. This is irritating because it should be in the external section with the differential upgrades.

Sorry to double post, but I have a new question.

I noticed the Boss 302 has a short-throw six speed transmission that looks similar to the one found in the GT500. Car and Driver commented in the article "Lightning Lap 2011" about the GT500: "The shifter’s throws, for one, are unnecessarily short, and getting a lap together with an error-free two-to-three shift didn’t happen." And about the GT: "The GT’s shifter—unlike the GT500’s—is never too quick, never induces grinding, and is light enough in hand that missing a shift is a rare event." Do you think the Boss 302 will have the same problems as the GT500? Will the short throw shifter be frustrating to use in a daily driving car?

Once again thank you for all of the responses.

I seriously thought about it. But I went with the GT so I could have the Elec/Nav package. Oh and a back seat I will never use... I tried to justify the Shelby which comes with it all, but that would kill me to put the 30,000 miles a year I drive.

To each his own and buy the car that makes you want to get in it every day. The GT was that car for me. Beats the F150 I drive now. Go Boss!

Cars like this aren't suitable for bad weather. Rain, maybe. Do you live where it rains a lot (like Seattle) or where it EVER frosts or snows?

If so, you'll need another car. You COULD get a set of skinny snow tires, but even at that, they'll have to be on 18" rims or larger to get around the brakes. Plus it'll look like crap.

If you get it, at least get a beater 2nd car for bad weather or when you have to go where you wouldn't want to park something nice, like a football game, a parking garage or city streets.

As for the specific question: GT or Boss, it's not really that relevant: they both suck as an only car.

I want a Boss, but I'll keep a beater too.

I spoke with one of my cousins who owns a 2003 Z06 Corvette. He told me he could not drive it on a daily basis because the clutch is too stiff and it is especially bad in stop and go driving. I know the Boss 302 has a stiffer clutch than the standard GT, but is it as stiff as the one found in a Z06 corvette? How difficult/irritating is it to drive a car with a stiff clutch in heave traffic?

Once again, thank you for the votes and responses.

It's not too bad. For some reason my 5.0 had a super stiff pedal. My buddy who drives big trucks said it was worse than any 18 wheeler he had ever been in. I drove in the branson super summer cruise in Missouri which is solid traffic and it wasn't too bad. Depends on personal preference though some think manual steering is bad yet I say it's fine