Does A Cai Really Boost Hp?

Essn95

5 Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
Im thinking of swapping a bbk cold air intake onto my 1995 cobra, is it really worth the effort? Ive heard that removing the air silencer and dropping in a K&N filter would do the same or better. All input would help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

CAI hasn't increased horsepower on any test I've seen on our cars with removed silencers and K & N.

They look cool though when you own the hood. The only ones that are worth it are the ones that put the filter in the fender. If it has the filter in the engine bay it can cause issues and actually hurt performance. Fan wash and heat are never good things.

Here is what I think.
A cai is a cute little upgrade, they work good and look cool. We are talking about the type that the filter is inside the fender opening and not just stuck on the end of the maf.
For a stock setup or even a mild bolt-on car you are good with the stock air box and a k&n filter. But that is only my opinion, I personally have no facts to back it up.

The tube may be able to go after the MAF to the throttle body. You may have to shorten it a little.

The factory box is a cold air intake. It pulls air from inside the fender area. The K&N filter would be a rectangle one designed for your car and placed in the factory box.

The tube may be able to go after the MAF to the throttle body. You may have to shorten it a little.

The factory box is a cold air intake. It pulls air from inside the fender area. The K&N filter would be a rectangle one designed for your car and placed in the factory box.
So basically it would take no modification to swap them? @90sickfox

I don't think it'll be anything major. The 95 is a little different than the foxes I'm used to.

In order to put the whole bbk kit on you'll have to go under the fender to put the cone filter on. Either pull the wheel off and fender liner...or reach up in there from in front of the fender liner.