Does an A9L connect directly where the old computer was?

I have a 94GT and just purchased an A9L from my friends 90GT. Will the A9L be a direct fit where my old computer was? And if it is will there be any type of problems like the mass air meter not able to register or something?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure it's more involved than just plugging the A9L in, and being done. For sure, you need a BAP sensor, and I'm not sure if you need to change some pins around in the main harness connector, but I think I recall reading that somewhere at some time. A search on here for PIH conversion will probably net you a ton of information regarding this swap, including reasons to, and not to do the swap. I'm definitely on the anti-swap side, but I won't try to sway you in either direction, since it's not my car :)

You will also need a fan controller.

As Matt suggested, take a look at the cost of using a handheld or chip vs the cost for the retrofit (considering the external BAP, fan controller, etc etc).

The above-mentioned search will show you what exactly is involved so you know what you are going to need.

Good luck.

rude_life said:
Hey Grady, Whats so special about putting a * in front of whatever you might be searching?

PIH is only 3 letters and won't let the search engine work. PIH* is four letters and will get you what you want.

IMHO for the cost of a PIH you can get an EEC Tuner or save an extra hundred bucks and get a TwEECer base model, even better yet TwEECer R/T. All your problems solved.

Plus, those are both still supported. No more PIH production as far as I know, so you gotta find one used.

rude_life said:
Hey Grady, Whats so special about putting a * in front of whatever you might be searching?

Well on :SNSign:

I guess NOTHING :rlaugh:

I just tried it and it worked so I just need to :Zip2:

Most of the search engines on other forums I have used will come back and tell you three letters is an invalid request.

I'm just out in left field on this one .................. Ain't I :rlaugh:

Grady

It can be that you use the aesterisks as wildcards, so the term is not omitted (when searching for "this and that", and would otherwise be omitted, which is why I think wildcards exist - to unclutter the search).
But since you want it to happen with A9L, just do as Grady said. I will say that I just tried it and a straight-up search of A9L worked. :shrug:

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
It can be that you use the aesterisks as wildcards, so the term is not omitted (when searching for "this and that", and would otherwise be omitted, which is why I think wildcards exist - to unclutter the search).
But since you want it to happen with A9L, just do as Grady said. I will say that I just tried it and a straight-up search of A9L worked. :shrug:

Good luck.

You know how it is with OLD MEN JT

They get forgetful some of the time :D

Still say I've tried to search on this site with just three letters
AND
It didn't work :shrug:

Grady

Stryfe8822 said:
I would still like to know what a tweecer is or a tweecer R/T
TwEECer's are self tunning devices you so YOU control whats going on. Example: You wnat the car to run cooler so you set the computer to turn the fans on at the desired temp lets say 180*. You take over and adjust the setting so you can self-tune. TwEECers run about $700 and if you don't have a lab top add that to the price.

wytstang said:
TwEECers run about $700 and if you don't have a lab top add that to the price.

I thought tweecer r/t's could be had for a good bit cheaper than that? Is that a retail price or something? I thought it as more around $500?

Anywho, i never agreed with using a older computer. Its a shortcut...a quick fix...because if u mod, u'll need a tune on ANY computer u use. And at that point, your money is wasted.

Another option is the Anderson Ford Motorsport PMS. U can search about that and the tweecer and get tons and tons and tons of info.

final5-0 said:
You know how it is with OLD MEN JT

They get forgetful some of the time :D

Still say I've tried to search on this site with just three letters
AND
It didn't work :shrug:

Grady
Grady, I hear ya, fellow old man. :D Every time I have searched in the past, I had to surround the 3 letter term with *'s. But I think they revamped the search engine (or it is in a really good mood right now), as I just played with it. I think the cut-off is now two letters and not 3 letters anymore. That is just how it seems in playing with it for a minute here. :shrug:

nmcgrawj said:
I thought tweecer r/t's could be had for a good bit cheaper than that? Is that a retail price or something? I thought it as more around $500?
Thats me typing to fast (at least fast for me). They are more like $550+shiping for the r/t model. The base odel is $380+shipping, but who knows if the prices are going to stay the same as twEECer will no longer sale to the public. You will have to buy fom distributors.

wytstang said:
Thats me typing to fast (at least fast for me). They are more like $550+shiping for the r/t model. The base odel is $380+shipping, but who knows if the prices are going to stay the same as twEECer will no longer sale to the public. You will have to buy fom distributors.

Thats what i thought. Yea, i wonder how the prices will react. Can u only buy it from Tweecer now? You would think with more competition prices would be better...or atleast the same.