Does anyone know the full specs on the O5 GT powerplant

XJeep

Nov 28, 2004
No matter who I've asked so far and where I have looked and what I've been able to read. The one thing I have had the most problems learning about is the newer engine in the 05 GT

Some say its the same engine as in the 04, or some others say that only the top half is different... But from what I can tell, so far most of the engine seems to be different.... Is this correct or no?... and if not can anyone please tell me how, and why?

I almost certain that most of it has been changed from the O4... New heads, new block, etc..... But exactly how different is it from the 04 GT... Anytime I try to find info on it, its always the same basic general stuff over and over again... I have yet to find out what its made up of... Sadly so far the most anyone could tell me is that is a nearly 100% aluminum engine (block, heads. pistons, etc) But I have yet to learn any details about it....

Could someone out there please help. Maybe some of you guys that already own it, and who knows maybe there are already a couple of you out there that already had a chance to tinker with it...

Thanks again

Cameron

I can't find the link right now but I read somewhere that the 05 GT engine has over 60% new parts from the '04 GT engine.

Block is new aluminum, '04 GT was the same cast iron block they've been using for 10 years.

Heads are completely new including heads, valves, cams etc.

Intake manifold is new.

Engine controls are updated.

ETC is new.

Exhaust manifold is new.

Pistons may be new.

Throttle body is new.

Variable cam timing is new.

About the only things that may still be the same are the crank, connecting rods, flywheel and hardware like bolts and nuts.

So until I find that link, this Ford press release will have to suffice.

The new 4.6 3V is a nice improvement from the previous 260 hp 2V. And 70 lbs lighter on top of that. I think it looks nice as well - love the magnesium valve covers and composite intake, etc. Makes me almost forgive them for the pathetic bore spacing of the modulars.

Thanks guys.....and I look forward to the link if you ever find it... it will be a great help...

So how many ponies do you think someone could sqeeze out of that bad boy, with out putting to much stress on it?

Im trying to decide if I shoudl keep the engine or replace it with something else... it would be so nice to have something in the area of 600 horses...

drummer said:
I wonder why Ford has not replaced that bore with a 3.90 or something and keep the same stroke.

Because the bore spacing is 3.94" on the mod motor. So the engine would blow up if you bored it to 3.90.

To answer your PM Xjeep, the rods, bearings and crank are probably the same. To run 600 HP new rods are a must and probably the crank and bearings too.

XJeep said:
So how many ponies do you think someone could sqeeze out of that bad boy, with out putting to much stress on it?

No way are you going to pull 600 HP out of the stock internals and have the engine last any decent length of time. It's possible with the 03/04 Cobra engines up to about 800 HP with a ProCharger, but I suspect the GT internals would start having trouble long term above 500 HP.

GTP2GTO said:
Still no power in the dang things... I was very disappointed. I really wanted to buy one since they look so nice...

I disagree, they have plenty of power and potential. I always thought GM overrated the LS1 power ratings anyway.

Most stock LS1's were barely dyno'ing 280 HP to the wheels, but they were rating them anywhere from 310 to 350 HP at the flywheel... Many of the 04 Goat dynos that I've seen were barely hitting 290 HP at the wheels... that's awful considering a 350 HP flywheel rating from GM.

Ford tends to do the opposite and underrate their HP ratings.

Ya I was worried about that... But there are always a way if your willing to fork out the cash. But that the real problem, im trying to find out which way is going to be cheaper.... And that 800 horses way over killl for this guy, i will be more than happy with 500-600.... But I think it would still prob still be easier and cheaper to mod the 3v some how, rather than swap the engine all together like I was originally thinking about doing...

I wish I had a full spec sheet in the 3v engine?

But anyways

what would you guys do?

I was considering dropping the 5.0 CAMMER under the bonnet (keep in mind emissions are no were near as strick where Im from, than say, most places in the US...

Ummm second choice is 4.6 4v (the tank engine) found in the SVT...thats if they are available...

Taking to one of my buddies and from what I found looking over the net,he said there is more room under the 05 bonnet than the cars before it....so trying to wedge it in should not be a problem...

As kewl as it would be to have the Cammer under the hood, I still think I would much rather keep the original engine if possible.... But money is the main issue here over all... Crate cammer will set me back $14000 plus a lil more here and there to tweak a few things just right. Im not 100% sure yet, but I think I can still get the numbers I want from the stock engine with out spending as much....

Any who, would love your guys thoughts...

I agree

thehemi said:
The LS1 is a beast of an engine with lots of potential.
I would not downplay that engine -- or the Mustang's.

I've owned both (I owned a '00 Z28 for 2 years).

The 4.6L is a much better engine considering responsiveness to mods.