Does my GT have a Romeo or Windsor block?

• Sponsors (?)

Your's is Romeo.

Romeo was Feb '01-'04
Windsor was 99-01

Romeo uses bolt-on cam gears.
Windsor uses press-on cam gears.

Romeo has 11 bolts on the valve covers.
Windsor has 13 bolts on the valve covers

Hey guys im kinda confused now...
In the july mm&ff issue there was a cam swap and it discussed the differences in the two engines, (pg. 180-189) There is a little sidebar on pg. 187 that said if the vin has a 'w' in the eighth place its a romeo and if it has an 'x' its a windsor.

My car is an 2002 and it has an 'x' there which should mean its a windsor or is their information incorrect?

Also it says that "the oem camshafts in romeo-style engines use a non-removable cam sprocket" and that the windsor has the bolt on sprockets.

Just wondering which way is up at the moment lol

Black'02 said:
In the july mm&ff issue there was a cam swap and it discussed the differences in the two engines, (pg. 180-189) There is a little sidebar on pg. 187 that said if the vin has a 'w' in the eighth place its a romeo and if it has an 'x' its a windsor.

My car is an 2002 and it has an 'x' there which should mean its a windsor or is their information incorrect?

Also it says that "the oem camshafts in romeo-style engines use a non-removable cam sprocket" and that the windsor has the bolt on sprockets.

:nonono: You'd think they'd know this by now :shrug:

You have Romeo.. Windsors are the motors with the pressed on cam gears :nonono:

Black'02 said:

only believe 1/2 of what you read in mm/ff and most other mags:bang: as stated above, yours is a Romeo

also, Windsor's are a tad stronger/better then the Romeo's as Windsors use the same conn-rod as the Cobras which have full-floating piston pins and that can free-up a few more HP