does removal of the right headlight help at the track???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirWolf87

Mar 14, 2004
L I, NY
Ive always run with it on and run high 14s. Never thought it would make a diff, but everyone else does it. do you guys take it out? have you noticed any better times from it? im sure it helps but i doubt just adding ram air will help the times any. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I think i read something about this. They say that it assists in bringing in cooler air if you have a CAI. If you have the stock airbox pulling air from the fenderwell, I would think doing it would be pointless. Although ive never tried it, so i wouldnt know personally.

DarkShadowGT said:
hmmm...interesting. so i could take advantage of this since i have a densecharger? so when the headlight is off theres just a gaping hole exposing the inside of the fenderwell?

That's the theory behind it, I personally haven't tried it but I will next trip to the track.

Would you drive down the street like that? Probably not. I believe that you should run your car at the strip, in the exact same way you run it down the street. That means no shorts, belts bags of ice on the intake, or taking the headlight out of the car (which BTW looks like total $ h ! t). This kind of thing ranks right up there with pulling the passenger seat out of the car to save what, a half a tenth? If you want a real race car, build a real race car. Otherwise run your car the same as you run it on the street. Besides the number you run has no street credit. Sure you ran a 13.57, but can you run that at anytime of the day, or do you have to spend 40 minutes preping the car to run that number?

tjm73 said:
Would you drive down the street like that? Probably not. I believe that you should run your car at the strip, in the exact same way you run it down the street. That means no shorts, belts bags of ice on the intake, or taking the headlight out of the car (which BTW looks like total $ h ! t). This kind of thing ranks right up there with pulling the passenger seat out of the car to save what, a half a tenth? If you want a real race car, build a real race car. Otherwise run your car the same as you run it on the street. Besides the number you run has no street credit. Sure you ran a 13.57, but can you run that at anytime of the day, or do you have to spend 40 minutes preping the car to run that number?

Street racing is for *******. Who cares if your track number has any "street credit"? Who cares if you have to spend x number of minutes at the track prepping for a race. That's part of drag racing. You think John Force and his team don't spend time prepping their car before a race? Most guys use their daily driver (street car) as their track car also. So...no, you wouldn't drive on the street like that, but when you get to the track...you do everything you can to get a lower ET.

StngStr said:
Street racing is for *******. Who cares if your track number has any "street credit"? Who cares if you have to spend x number of minutes at the track prepping for a race. That's part of drag racing. You think John Force and his team don't spend time prepping their car before a race? Most guys use their daily driver (street car) as their track car also. So...no, you wouldn't drive on the street like that, but when you get to the track...you do everything you can to get a lower ET.

I never mentioned street racing (I don't condone it and I don't participate in it). You are missing my point and you are not John Force. He has a real race car and his team makes money for doing what it does. That line of reasoning has nothign to do with what I am saying.

A street car that can run fast without a bunch of stuff being pulled off it, or out of it, is much, much, much more impressive. It's more powerful and a real representation of a true street car as you might run up against on the street (if that's your thing). That's what I'm saying.

i agree with TJM.

make your car as fast is it can be without messing with things too much.

just stage, hit the gas and see what happens.

add modifications if necessary to lower your et "forever" withouth messing with things.

then its just pointless unless your car is a dedicated track car.

mcmmotorsports said:
Unless you are me and have to get a good time slip to prove to the boneheads I work with that my car is capable of high 13's. :(

I used to feel I needed to prove to people what I could run in my stang, but then I decided that I don't give a F what they think and I just enjoy my car knowing what it is capapble of. Who needs someone elses approval for their ride anyway? :D

Of course if you're in the business, then it's a business necesity. That's different.

The track is not the street so why should you run your car like it was on the street? Hell might as well tell the track crew to clean up the launching area because the street wouldn't be like that. :rolleyes: Give me a break.

And to answer the original question, yes it helps. Take it out!

becasue it is more REALISTIC...

yea ok so you might get a bit more traction at the track... but at the end of the day you still pack up your car as before you came the track... back to [] one...

i like to run what i brung... no dismounts... i want to know what my car is CAPABLE to the real world as possible.

yellow5.0cobra said:
becasue it is more REALISTIC...

yea ok so you might get a bit more traction at the track... but at the end of the day you still pack up your car as before you came the track... back to [] one...

i like to run what i brung... no dismounts... i want to know what my car is CAPABLE to the real world as possible.

What's not realistic about taking out a headlight? :rlaugh:

So you're saying someone shouldn't run slicks at the track because that isn't REALISTIC? :rolleyes:

Monkie said:
What's not realistic about taking out a headlight? :rlaugh:

So you're saying someone shouldn't run slicks at the track because that isn't REALISTIC? :rolleyes:
I have to say i agree with that. When you go to the track its more like a game than reality. You do your best to pull off the best run you can.
You guys are saying you go to the track with a full tank of gas, some groceries in your trunk and a spare tire? :bs: anything that simple to help a run is worth it....if it helps the time....which was my question. does ram air help? im going to find out next time at the track, if it does ill figure out a way to run Ram Air full time, for you "street credit" guys.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.