does this happen to anyone else?

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
So, every so often my car will just randomly feel like it's lost a ton of power. The exhaust note will be completeley different and the car will be slower and quieter. It will piss me off and confuse the hell out of me until I stop and pop the hood. Oil level and oil pressure are fine, running temps normal, but I'll smell uncombusted gasoline. Lo and behold, a few of my Ford Racing 8mm plug wires will have popped off for no reason. I've had up to four of them off at once, inexplicably. Does this happen to anyone else? This has never been a problem on any other car I've ever owned, is it just because of this plug wire design?? Just curious...

• Sponsors (?)

When you push them in they should "click" into place. If they come lose after that or won't click into place then the terminal endds on the wires are loose and you can either try to pinch them in with some needle noses or just buy new one's.

That's the thing, they're new. I made sure they all have that reassuring "click" when I press them onto the plugs. My headers are wrapped with Thermo-Tec but that doesn't interfere with the plug wires at all, there's plenty of room. I don't know what the hell is up with them. :shrug: I may just pull them off and put some stock replacements on... It sucks but it's better than running on 4 cylinders randomly and fouling out plugs.

I have the same problem. Make sure theirs no tension on the plug wires and make sure you use the jelly that comes with the plug wires. I can't think of the name but after I used it and rearranged my plug wires I was good to go

I was gettin on the car hard one day and the rise from the front end pulled the #5 plug wire. I guess thats when you know you are getting power to the ground and making a decent amount of it. My motor mounts are shot though. Yours might be too.