does this sound like mass air???

riceslayer302

Banned
Oct 3, 2006
CT
ok guys i have a serious problem, i have a 1990 gt.

the car it runs perfect, the car has idled in my garage for hours without any problems and will drive for short distances a without anything going wrong. but for the second time now when i take it out, it will run fine for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour then it seems when it is just cruising in fourth gear it will bog right down and come to a stop and shut off. after this happens the car will not start up again.

the first time it happened i tried everything i knew, i changed the mass air, checked fuel pressure. nothing, i took my friend's mass air out of his 89 and put it on my car and it still didnt start. but when i took it to the garage they said it was the mass air meter, they changed it, and the car ran again.

then last night i was driving the car again and the same exact thing happened over again... what do you guys think? have any of you ever seen a car toast mass air meters? what could the problem be?

when it happens, it feels like the car is being deprived of fuel and it sputters out, putting your foot on the gas only makes it bog down worse, i didnt notice any pops like a car does when it runs out of gas. to me it seems like when the car is at operating temp it is blowing the mass air meter.

PLEASE HELP GUYS IM STUMPED

• Sponsors (?)

Start out by pulling the codes.
There is a link in my sig if you don't have a scanner.

It does sound like TFI though.
I think I remember some fuel pump problems coming up which sounded similar to this too?

These are just guesses. Start with the codes.

There are others who will be able to help more, like JRichker for example.

Good Luck,
jason