Door enclosure depth?

• Sponsors (?)

i dont remeber the depth but it is pretty deep. the only bad thing is that i wide magnet aftermarket speaker will not fit because the encloser comes in close to the magnet. i found a set of mb quartz 8" mid-bass to replace stock ones. sounds great. i wanted to put the jl 8", the enclosure is deep enough but not wide enough for the magnet. rockfords might fight, good luck.

please let me know what you end up going with. the only other option i see is make a speaker ring thick enough to mount the speaker to so it brings the magnet out, and miss the side of the enclosure. i thought about fiberglassing a enclosure but the door itself is formed the same way.

i tried out the mb8 and memphis component 8" with tweeter. both sounded better than the mb quartz mid bass 8" i'm using now. so i will be upgrading. also i noticed that MTX makes a thunder 4500 8" that will fit. dont now the quality or sound.

Proctoman said:
Where can you get those Memphis components? Do they fit without modification?

I know that Outlaws car stereo shop here in Pensacola carries Memphis. I have MB Quart in my Titan, and not too crazy about the bass. Good midrange, but not deep hard bass.

after testing the kicker ssrmb8 and the memphis component 8" against my mb quart 8" i came to the conclusion that they were all just mid bass and all sounded pretty much the same. so i tried out some MTX 4500 8" today and for just slapping them in the door with an unmodified factory enclosure they sound amazing. lots of low end hard hit bass plus plenty of mid bass as well. i am going to stick with these and sell my mb quartz. all speakers tested were ran off a memphis 250 class d mono amp.

I dumb question!! How do you remove the 8" lower speakers. I would like to upgrade, but cannot get factories out. Removed all the screws from around the mounting ring, but I can only pull the speaker about 1" away from the door panel and when I let go, it snaps back?? It must be held from inside or behind some how. Any healp would be great. I don't want to damage anything forcing the issue.
Thanks CPman

I'll be trying the Illusion Audio offerings soon (Im8 and ND8i), along with a coupleof Morels, Tang-Band, CDT EF8, and a really funky driver from Aura that I have high hopes for. It'd be easier if I had my own car :( Damned shortage of GT's /shakes fist in direction of Ford/

8" subs

Crutchfield tells me today that they dont have any subs that will fit the doors due to only a 3.58" depth limitation. I have yet to pull the factory ones out so havent verified this, but has anyone replaced these and if so what were the depth measurements?

SM

Crutchfield is usually pretty good with their info, but I think a woofer with a smaller diameter motor assembly could be even deeper than that, from what I've seen. But, Morel, Aura, Illusion Audio, Directed audio, Kicker, Dynaudio, CDT, and I think TangBand all have shallow mount woofers that will fit. These are all high-quality stuff that even that Euro-snob Focal-loving :)puke:) Ex-Con would be happy with.

When installing the MTX 8" woofers, how did you wire them in. Is there crossovers involved or did you just move the wires from one woofer to the other. On the stock speaker, which factory wire is positive and which is negative.
Thanks for the help.

CPman

i am running mine off of an aftermarket amp. but some other people on TMS are running them on the factory amp. but to do that you need dual voil coil speakers which MTX does not have.