Door handle separating from door panel

stangbaba

Jul 22, 2008
Hello guys. Is there any “fix” for this, besides maybe getting a new door panel? No screws are missing, the cluster is just separating from the panel. The passenger side is fine.

CCDDACE9-E43D-48B4-9EF4-DBEADE59DB1B.jpeg

Attachments

• 60F443A0-0D98-4188-AA0F-938059891B96.jpeg
    60F443A0-0D98-4188-AA0F-938059891B96.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Sponsors (?)

There should be a phillips head screw at the top of that piece and on the bottom toward the back at the bottom, also two bolts at the bottom behind tow round plugs that need to be removed.

Thanks, but I’m asking, is there any fix for it, or is the panel just sunken in and in need of replacing?

Check those bolts and screws,looks to have loosened up on you,or stripped out.

This. Remove it and see what condition the sockets for the screws are in on the door brackets themselves. As said one or more are stripped/ pulled out. Once you see what they look like you can figure out what needs done to repair the brackets so the screws will hold.

Thanks, but I’m asking, is there any fix for it, or is the panel just sunken in and in need of replacing?

There should be a phillips head screw at the top of that piece and on the bottom toward the back at the bottom, also two bolts at the bottom behind tow round plugs that need to be removed.

This was the fix ^^^^ The video was to familiarize you with the location of the screws holding the door handle on. When you remove the handle you can also check if the door panel has torn where the metal clips slide under it from the handle.

Chris

Reactions: 1 user
This was the fix ^^^^ The video was to familiarize you with the location of the screws holding the door handle on. When you remove the handle you can also check if the door panel has torn where the metal clips slide under it from the handle.

Chris

Gotcha, you're right.

Thanks Chris!

Chris

Of course, in true tinkering fashion, If I'm going to do anything to the doors, I might as well put some map pocket deletes on the panels, new bezels, armrests, and replace the speakers, right? :p:D

Yes that is how it works. Only when I screw up a reply do I defer blame to you my friend.. :D

On a serious note don't do the map pocket "deletes", they look cheap to me. Just buy replacement map pockets and install them. If you mess it up, it is @General karthief fault.....

Chris

Last edited:
  • Haha
Of course, in true tinkering fashion, If I'm going to do anything to the doors, I might as well put some map pocket deletes on the panels, new bezels, armrests, and replace the speakers, right? :p:D
Do not forget to upgrade the power lock solenoids, and to clean and lube the latch mechanism. If you are in there to do it right, might as well finish it. I have replacement map pockets for next time, and plan on installing a second piece of elastic with the new ones.

Reviving this old thread that I made. I put her away for the winter and brought her back out this week. I think I found the problem. This pic is of one the bottom screws on the armrest. Somehow this screw is in the all cock-eyed.

any ideas on how the heck I’m going to get that screw out of there?

4923663B-298C-4CD1-8E97-24183128405E.jpeg

There should be "push nuts" ( thats what I call them) there.. Remove your door panel and replace them... Should push off push new ones on..

There should be "push nuts" ( thats what I call them) there.. Remove your door panel and replace them... Should push off push new ones on..
Thanks.

Are the armrests attached to just the panel, or the actual door? I thought I would have to remove the armrest first, to remove the door panel?

Push nuts have nothing to do with your crooked screw, you'll need to pull the entire door panel off to get that out. Those big screws thread into the metal door structure itself and clamp the door panel tight against the inside of the door, someone missed the hole and just left it, probably isn't screwed into anything hence your handle separating.

Push nuts have nothing to do with your crooked screw, you'll need to pull the entire door panel off to get that out. Those big screws thread into the metal door structure itself and clamp the door panel tight against the inside of the door, someone missed the hole and just left it, probably isn't screwed into anything hence your handle separating.
Ahhhh, okay, thank you! I planned on overhauling the doors anyway.