Door Lock Problems

T-Topperson

Apr 17, 2004
This concerns a 1987 GT, T-Top. We have checked the actuators, we have replaced the switches and next we thought about the 30A circuit breaker that the electrical diagrams show. Well, we can't find it. Any one know where it is located? :shrug: Thanks, T-Topperson

• Sponsors (?)

The 30A breaker should be in the fuse block. Look on the cover to the fuse block and you should see it. If not, I don't know where to look 'cause I think that is where mine is.

You should double check the grounds as well. I know for a fact that if one door is not grounded, neither side will work.

so where are the grounds for the locks i had similar problem, and i still havent solved it. whenever i cross some wires both doors will lock or unlock, so you are telling my there is an actual circuit for the locks. and what about the windows. my passenger side doesnt roll up or down unless you cross and reverse some wires. what do you think could be wrong i have gotten new switches. also this is for an 86 so i have the older style windows and locks.

Door Locks

Stang951 said:
The 30A breaker should be in the fuse block. Look on the cover to the fuse block and you should see it. If not, I don't know where to look 'cause I think that is where mine is.

You should double check the grounds as well. I know for a fact that if one door is not grounded, neither side will work.

Thanks for your reply. We did look in the fuse box- not there. Did not think about a gounding problem - good idea. We will follow through. Thanks. again

T-Topperson

There should be a ground wire in each door that bolts to the door itself. Check the harness carefully, you should see a black wire with an eye on it. Then there should be a green bolt somewhere on the door, small one. That is where it should ground.

on the 88 gt, the ground bolted about dead center on the inner door skin (if it is AWOL on yours, that might give an idea of somewhere to look).
it was just one black wire on mine.

good luck.

That is exactly the bolt and wire that I was referring to. I couldn't remember exactly where it was cause I haven't had the doors apart in a while. If you find the green hex head bolt and no wire, there is your problem. Keep in mind that if that is the case, you will need to find out why it broke as well.

Stang951 said:
Check out this thread, you might find some of the info useful there:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=4082526#post4082526

I searched my wiring diagrams and couldn't find the 30a realy anywhere. Are you sure that there is supposed to be a realy on the locks? I even went and looked at the fuse blcok cover and couldnt find anything.
is that directed to me?
here is the post by me, that i think you are talking about (from the thread you linked to):

http://forums.stangnet.com/showpost.php?p=4082464&postcount=3

i think i must not have articlulated myself very well on that post.
i think i said that the "stock" wiring does not use relays. when i referred to relays (and referenced external and/or on-board relays), i was referring to the relays used on that poster's alarm system (alarms, as you know, generally supply a low current pulse, which require relays, unless on-board relays are a feature of the alarm).

sorry if i confused folks....i was directing my comments to the alarm situation on that other thread, since i was not sure if he was able to unlock the doors with the power button). i figured he could provide more info and let us know. but in case he tore in there, he would have an idea of stuff to look for (if you search alarm threads that i posted on, several times people have said that they wished i had given such info sooner, while they were troubleshooting).
:)

BTW, great info by you on this. i feel for the alarm electrical problem threads, as they sometimes dont get much response.

Hissin, I meant for T-Topperson to look at the other thread, thinking he might get some ideas from that one. I thought that the alarm relays might be the other guys problem, and the info you provided to him was pretty good.

Any ideas where the 30A circuit breaker is for the stock power locks? I couldn't find it in my diagrams.

Stang951, sorry for my confusion. it happens as i get older. :)

yep, i dont think there are any relays in stock power door lock wiring. i was not even aware that there was a CB anywhere (the two i remember are wipers and power windows).

i looked through my collection of stang stuff and came up empty. im pretty sure Tom doesnt have anything either. i didnt see anything in his diagrams(and i recall him saying he had not done them [yet?]).

now for a plan of action: unless i missed something, T-T, you have no locks at all?
BTW, it should use reverse polarity locks, if that was not mentioned.

i would get at the connectors in the kick panel (that is the easiest place to start, IMHO). check for contintuity. this will tell you which way to go (either the power source is bad, or if ok, head for the door panel). in 87, i think lock was pink/light green, and unlock was pink/yellow. i could be wrong (faint recollection)....

then check out that ground that Stang951 is talkin about. im hopin he hit the nail on the head for you. with reverse polarity locks, you need grounds present....

good luck.

BTW Stang951, i have been meaning to ask you what year your ride is. i dig your set up and mods. we think alike on what to do....:nice:

The 30A circuit breaker is only for the power windows. I initially installed just the stock power locks on my car, using the stock type wiring and such with my manual windows. From what I recall, there is a fusible link under the hood that supplies the power to the locks. I don't think there is a fuse or CB, at least none of the fuses have the locks going through them that I could see. I just plugged in the wires into the main harness in the drivers side kick panel and they all worked.

And there is only the one ground in the drivers door for the 87-93 cars.

Good luck!

Thomas

The 30A circuit breaker is only for the power windows. I initially installed just the stock power locks on my car, using the stock type wiring and such with my manual windows. From what I recall, there is a fusible link under the hood that supplies the power to the locks. I don't think there is a fuse or CB, at least none of the fuses have the locks going through them that I could see. I just plugged in the wires into the main harness in the drivers side kick panel and they all worked.

And there is only the one ground in the drivers door for the 87-93 cars.

Good luck!

Thomas
The 30amp breaker is attached to the + terminal on the coil under the hood. It should have a Blk / Wh wire attached, that wire goes to the fuse box and is power for the locks.